Gasser to diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Manual transmission is generally easier and cheaper to swap in. However, if you chose a duramax swap and had donor truck, it would make sense to keep he allison.
The key to 10 bolt rear axle longevity is ZERO burnouts, don't tow, and NEVER shock the driveline, meaning not dumping the clutch.
You can nearly pick and choose whatever you want though. Mercedes om606/4l80e, 4 or 6 cyl cummins with manual or auto trans, isuzu 4bd1t with manual or auto trans, 1004 or 1006 perkins, really whatever engine and trans combo you want.
None of it will be cheap or easy.
Because I'm partial to the cummins, I'd put a 4bt in it with a 4l80e.
I tell anyone who is considering a repower that if they aren't willing to spend $10k (minimum) on it, then don't start the project.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Manual transmission is generally easier and cheaper to swap in. However, if you chose a duramax swap and had donor truck, it would make sense to keep he allison.
The key to 10 bolt rear axle longevity is ZERO burnouts, don't tow, and NEVER shock the driveline, meaning not dumping the clutch.
You can nearly pick and choose whatever you want though. Mercedes om606/4l80e, 4 or 6 cyl cummins with manual or auto trans, isuzu 4bd1t with manual or auto trans, 1004 or 1006 perkins, really whatever engine and trans combo you want.
None of it will be cheap or easy.
Because I'm partial to the cummins, I'd put a 4bt in it with a 4l80e.
I tell anyone who is considering a repower that if they aren't willing to spend $10k (minimum) on it, then don't start the project.

I wish the MWM 4.2L was more available here. They came factory in many GMT400 based trucks and SUVs with actual GM engineering to swap them in.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish the MWM 4.2L was more available here. They came factory in many GMT400 based trucks and SUVs with actual GM engineering to swap them in.
Yes! I'm down for it! In a 1/2 ton truck I like to stay around a 4.0l engine. It seems to be the best for fuel mileage.
I especially gravitate toward 6 cyl engines in 3.0l to 4.0l. I dream of the mercedes om606. I haven't messed with them yet.
Of course there's the good ol' 5.9 cummins, but that aint nothin special anymore. I like the "different" things!

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ol' 5.9 has parts availability going for it. I'd rather be nothing special instead of waiting on parts in the middle of nowhere.
This is absolutely true. It is why the cummins swap is the most popular. You can source nearly all parts necessary to do the swaps, the engine is about as reliable as possible, and is probly the cheapest of any diesel swap. I am in no way downplaying the cummins swap, I just admire the guys who go the "different" route!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is absolutely true. It is why the cummins swap is the most popular. You can source nearly all parts necessary to do the swaps, the engine is about as reliable as possible, and is probly the cheapest of any diesel swap. I am in no way downplaying the cummins swap, I just admire the guys who go the "different" route!
4BTs were a steal about 10 years ago in all the FedEx/Wonder Bread or similar P30 box vans. Vans used by the two brands mentioned were almost always 4BT swapped. Could get one running and driving for $1500-2500 and they had all the goodies needed to put one in place of a small block or big block. Most had a TH400 and a few had a 4L80E behind them.

I have seen a 6BT swapped into an early model small block Express van without much difficulty. A LS struggles to fit there and a big block, 6.5L diesel or Duramax flat out will not fit without the larger big block dog house openings in the floor and firewall.