Front Bumper Impact Strip Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve looked through forum but can’t see it mentioned, but has anyone replaced front impact strip without dropping bumper? The issue would be the 2 nuts on each end that lock strip to bumper.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve looked through forum but can’t see it mentioned, but has anyone replaced front impact strip without dropping bumper? The issue would be the 2 nuts on each end that lock strip to bumper.
Really easier to do with the bumper off and on a stand. The speed nuts on the plastic posts sometimes just spin and spin without unthreading.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really easier to do with the bumper off and on a stand. The speed nuts on the plastic posts sometimes just spin and spin without unthreading.
I watched a video of a guy just popping them off with a pry tool. If the strip that’s being replaced gets damaged, it’s getting tossed anyway. So, I guess the question is, can those speed nuts be put on without dropping bumper. If I have to, I will, was just hoping it could be done.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always took them off. 6 bolts to get the bumper off after the grill is out. Then the strip can be changed out in a few minutes. Sometimes what seems the more involved method is quicker in the end. Easier than laying on your back and walking on your knees.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always took them off. 6 bolts to get the bumper off after the grill is out. Then the strip can be changed out in a few minutes. Sometimes what seems the more involved method is quicker in the end. Easier than laying on your back and walking on your knees.
Well, I plan on swapping a NOS grille soon anyway so I’ll do it then. Thanks

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I just tackled that front end rehab and took the bumper off for the impact strip. Much easier than trying to do it on. The LMC impact strip I bought isn’t perfect, but it’s ok. I reused the OEM thread cutting nuts on the outside last two plastic posts. It helped tighten fit much better.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

8 bolts...