Front Bumper Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mylesa

Reaction score
I recently did a 88-93 to 94-98 grille conversion but I can’t seem to get my front bumper to align quite right. I’ve tried leaving all of the bolts half loose and tried tightening them once it looks right but as soon as I start tightening them it starts to shift no matter what I do. What should I do to combat this?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently did a 88-93 to 94-98 grille conversion but I can’t seem to get my front bumper to align quite right. I’ve tried leaving all of the bolts half loose and tried tightening them once it looks right but as soon as I start tightening them it starts to shift no matter what I do. What should I do to combat this?
I've never had to deal with this, nor have heard of anyone dealing with it.
But here is my thoughts.
Once the bumper is sitting where you want it, take a look at where the gaps are between the bolts, brackets and frame. Wherever there is gaps, put a washer or shim in there to take up that space.
May need to use a feeler gauge.
That should minimize any movement or shifting.

It makes sense in my brain. Maybe someone else with a better solution may come along.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you replace the filler strip below the grille, the two fender corner supports, and the bumper brackets? Those are all different between '88-'93 and '94+, you'll need all of that off a '94+ truck to make the later grille fit properly.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace the filler strip below the grille, the two fender corner supports, and the bumper brackets? Those are all different between '88-'93 and '94+, you'll need all of that off a '94+ truck to make the later grille fit properly.
Oh man....how did I miss that!!! Lol
Yes.....the three fillers are very important, as well as the two middle bumper brackets.

mylesa

Reaction score
But here is my thoughts.
Once the bumper is sitting where you want it, take a look at where the gaps are between the bolts, brackets and frame. Wherever there is gaps, put a washer or shim in there to take up that space.

It makes sense in my brain. Maybe someone else with a better solution may come along.
I did change all of those but I didn’t replace the little piece that goes between the two main bumper brackets and the frame, would that make a difference?

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get some pictures of where it’s not lining up? Those small brackets sandwiched between the frame and bumper might make 1/8” difference at most but that’s just a guess.

mylesa

Reaction score
Can you get some pictures of where it’s not lining up? Those small brackets sandwiched between the frame and bumper might make 1/8” difference at most but that’s just a guess.
This is the difference on both sides of the bumper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 23

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's quite a difference.

Was the old bumper perfectly aligned? If the frame horn, fenders, or core support are bent or tweaked off center it may be too much for the bumper adjustment to compensate for.

But here is my thoughts.

This is a good idea.

Maybe double check the brackets? Were they used? Make sure nothing's bent and that both sides are matched (the front brackets are only like 1/2" different between 88-93 and 94+ but it's enough to make it crooked)

mylesa

Reaction score
That's quite a difference.

Was the old bumper perfectly aligned? If the frame horn, fenders, or core support are bent or tweaked off center it may be too much for the bumper adjustment to compensate for.

This is a good idea.

Maybe double check the brackets? Were they used? Make sure nothing's bent and that both sides are matched (the front brackets are only like 1/2" different between 88-93 and 94+ but it's enough to make it crooked)
The old bumper was pretty much perfect and the new brackets are brand new. We’ve have the truck since ‘95 and it’s never been in a front end crash. I’ll definitely check the brackets though

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The old bumper was pretty much perfect and the new brackets are brand new. We’ve have the truck since ‘95 and it’s never been in a front end crash. I’ll definitely check the brackets though

New aftermarket brackets? That could be the issue right there.