Framing guns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So im about 5 years into my two year plan to earthquake proof my house and garage.
Im in Seattle BTW so it needs to be done.
I just cant swing a hammer anymore.
Im looking at the harbor frieght 3 in1 framing gun because I want to run paper nails and not plastic and I like that I can run any nail.
Anybody have one ?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if the paper nails are earthquake resistant? Bostich nail guns here in 3 sizes from finishing to framing.

I rented an battery powered framing gun it was pretty handy. Built my whole garage without dragging air lines all around.

By plastic or paper I suspect he means the connection between the nails.

Anyway, I have a Bostitch, which is a beast; but I imagine the HF one is pretty good. If you're looking at the Banks, 97% of reviewers recommended it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Bostich or Passload oiless guns and phasing out the cheaper ones like Porter Cable which use oil. The problem with them is, after they sit for a while, the O-rings and seals get hard and break. Most of them don't offer a repair kit either, they're "throw away" design. At least Senco has repair kits for most of theirs. I do have a couple Dewalt palm nailers that have been holding up pretty well.

If the angle of the nail strips are the same, pretty much any gun will shoot them.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak for the framing gun, but the best guns for finish work is Senco IMO. They are oiless as well. I’m sure the framing gun is of the same quality.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want it more earthquake proof pre-drill and screw everything together. Yes,it's gonna take longer and cost more money but it won't shake apart near as easy.
Not sure what earthquake codes all entail. But nails have way more sheer strength than screws. That's why building code up here for framing walls, deck and joist hangers and truss plates all call for nails, not screws.
They both have their uses, just gotta know when to use what.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight framing gun I got back in 2010 and just built a 2x4 and OSB shelf with it, no complaints there. I can't say if the nails meet code though? I used 3.25" x .120" nails. It's a pneumatic unit though, I'm guessing you're looking at a battery unit? I'll be in the market myself but will probably spring for something expensive when that day comes.