Factory ICM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her is a tip.
Unless you know for sure that your factory ICM is toast don't replace it with the garbage they're selling us now.
The day after I bought my truck I got under the hood and started making a list of parts that needed replacing. Most of it was the basic tune up parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter and PCV valve(which turned out to be junk and I had to clean the original). While I was replacing the cap and rotor I discovered the pickup coil was in bad shape and the top bushing in the dist. was worn so I bought a new dist. The new dist. came with the ICM already installed so I dropped it in,set the base timing and the truck ran fine. Here in the past week or so I've been upgrading the ECM to the 12277427 PCM that was used in 93-95 trucks and have started datalogging and tuning. While I was playing back a log session I noticed little oscillations in the tach line on the monitor and figured that was just the way it was. While trying to figure out what the engine liked for ignition timing at idle I had my timing light on it and noticed I was getting extra flashes from the light but still the engine ran good,,,,,,,,or so I thought. I got to thinking about the wiggles in the tach data and the extra flashes so I put my original factory ICM back in. No more extra flashes and the tach data line is smooth. Because I'm still tuning I can't say that it runs better but I can say the ignition system is working better.

89RCLB

Old Dudes Rule
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had nearly the same experience with a United Motor Products 9366 distributor that I put in my C1500 a couple of months ago. Except, the very next day after replacing the distributor I fired up the truck and noticed the tach jumping around rather wildly (but still seemed to run okay). Replaced the ICM that came with the UMP dizzy with a known good spare GM ICM I had, no issues since then. The UMP ICM hot garbage went straight into the trash.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I was playing back a log session I noticed little oscillations in the tach line on the monitor and figured that was just the way it was
That's how I found out my "new" Spectra Premium and Pertronix Flame Thrower were bad. My log showed momentary spikes of ~4775 RPM while cruising at 60 MPH. Hmmm - that's impossible :rolleyes:
You must be registered for see images attach

A word to the wise - replace the ICM and Coil at the same time or, one may take out the other in a short period ;)

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Funny, before I bought the "new" dizzy that's in my truck now, I went through all kinds of hell with aftermarket ICM's and coils. The SMP(?) coil I bought was shot right out of the box and if I remember right, was causing fluttery tach syndrome as I call it. Truck is sporting a coil of unknown and probably old origins but tested out OK.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of buying only top brand when it comes to stuff like this.. however..
I'm a little puzzled by the offerings from GM Genuine on Rock, for say, a '93 C3500 7.4 - they show two ICM's, and one says "w/o HEI" - huh? The info under each listing doesn't help the mystery, at all.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled by the offerings from GM Genuine on Rock, for say, a '93 C3500 7.4 - they show two ICM's, and one says "w/o HEI" - huh? The info under each listing doesn't help the mystery, at all.
Yeah, I've seen that on other sites as well. I was able to find GM Genuine ADO-AC Delco 1984A on Summit and AC Delco 19418995 on Amazon's AC DElco store. Been rocking those for ~4 years without issues.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not OBS but similar issue. I bought the GM style HEI distributor for my 75 ford with an FE block. I like the HEI and it simplifies parts for me. Driving it one day and it shut off, towed it home and they had used a soft roll pin for the gear. Installed a proper hardened steel roll pin and was back in business. Then my son was driving it and it shut off again, towed home and replaced the ICM with a high quality one and it has been good since. Cheap is cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_205714.jpg
    IMG_20210406_205714.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 6

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had nearly the same experience with a United Motor Products 9366 distributor that I put in my C1500 a couple of months ago. Except, the very next day after replacing the distributor I fired up the truck and noticed the tach jumping around rather wildly (but still seemed to run okay). Replaced the ICM that came with the UMP dizzy with a known good spare GM ICM I had, no issues since then. The UMP ICM hot garbage went straight into the trash.
I never had any tach jumps and never knew I had an issue until I saw the flashes in the timing light and then the fuzziness in the tach data line. Wonder how long it would have been before I was changing an ICM alongside the road?