Factory grille fitment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With you on this one-chrome will heat up and may deform plastic. It may start cracking too as you begin to push. Try with another piece of chromed abs or maybe on a bit inside-like fitting, catch or similar.
If you tried to get all the movement in one spot the chrome would definitely crack but if you heat over a larger area the chrome will flex enough. You have to control the tool!

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you tried to get all the movement in one spot the chrome would definitely crack but if you heat over a larger area the chrome will flex enough. You have to control the tool!
I get it-but controlling large piece at the same time as you heat it may be difficult and lead to mistakes. He'd have to do both sides on the truck to get where he wants to be or calculate carefully how much bend he needs. Doable cause there's not much if a gap, but easy it won't be-and high risk imo. I'd brobably heat it next to where the grille ends and headlights surrounds begin-providing there's nothing in the way-I can't remember where the anchor points are.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the other hand I looked again at the front and this massive middle"belt" where bowtie sits will be an issue. Btw-try steam instead of a heat gun if you figure how to control it-it does a nice job on some plastics.

Last edited:

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the grill on my 93 1500 with a chrome OEM copy from LMC. My only issue was now my bug shield doesn't fit. I could readjust everything but then the hood sits a bit high so i left bugshield out. After looking at your pics I think I would be looking to adjust the anchor points instead of heating the grill.

z71HalfTon

Reaction score
I swapped out my work truck grille to the chrome grille and came across the same issue. I used an aftermarket grille too, and I think there just molded terrible. The bottom tabs didn't want to snap in place so I took a small screw and drilled it through the tabs while pushing into the grille and it helped suck it in a little but there's still somewhat of a noticeable gab between the fender and grille.