Factory grille fitment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ‘93 has the 94-98 grille swap done to it with the correct 94+ bumpers and filler pieces. I had run an aftermarket grille the whole time since I’ve had this done but just came across a pretty mint factory grille that I swapped for. Only issue is it doesn’t want to fit flush to the fenders.. the grille has all three tabs, the filler is missing one, but the gap is on both sides.

Any else run into this issue? Only thing not swapped is the rad core but I don’t think that would be the issue. It won’t go flush even when putting pressure on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8845.jpeg
    IMG_8845.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 27

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a heat gun and carefully heat the grille while pushing the it where you want it. You'll have to hold it there until it cools. The chrome is somewhat flexible as long as you don't get carried away.
Really? Would not have thought of that. You talking about heating each edge or corner up?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a heat gun and carefully heat the grille while pushing the it where you want it. You'll have to hold it there until it cools. The chrome is somewhat flexible as long as you don't get carried away.
That's a good one.... I wouldn't have thought of that at first. But ya....heat makes plastic do things it doesn't want to do.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? Would not have thought of that. You talking about heating each edge or corner up?
Ya, I would start on a lower setting and see what happens. And then use a good duct tape or similar to hold it in place. It may wanna spring back a bit as well....not certain, but it could. So maybe practice on your old one first.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something tells me that heating “chromed” ABS plastic might not play well. But I’ve never tried, so I can’t confirm this.
With you on this one-chrome will heat up and may deform plastic. It may start cracking too as you begin to push. Try with another piece of chromed abs or maybe on a bit inside-like fitting, catch or similar.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I wouldn't attempt heating it, it sure looks to me like there's some error in assembly or incorrect parts in there. Something is interfering with the fit.

Richad

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't attempt heating it, it sure looks to me like there's some error in assembly or incorrect parts in there. Something is interfering with the fit.

Richad
That’s my original thinking since it’s uniform but I have no idea what it could be.

rzr6-4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My grill is an aftermarket replacement, not OEM but it did the same thing as well. I can kind of push it into place but just hanging there it has a pretty substantial gap.

I thought maybe I didn't have something put together correctly as everything from the firewall forward, I installed, but if you are having that issue as well I suppose it could be something in the molding.