Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
You guys are the best! Thank you to everyone for the extensive info and the part numbers. It's greatly appreciated! I may just go with the delete method if it's an issue that would likely reoccur through replacement.

KCusick81

Reaction score
I shared your opinion for quite a while until about the third time I had to replace one of the column sensors in my '97s. I will agree that the EVO works great when it's operational, but my experience has been that it doesn't stay that way for long. On top of that, these trucks drive great with it bypassed.

If you want to gamble on fixing the issue, replace the steering sensor on the column that was mentioned earlier. The OEM GM part is discontinued (part number 26064468), so the only available options are aftermarket replacements from Dorman (905510), Standard Motor Products (SWS11), or WVE (5S6342).

If you'd rather bypass the EVO (which is what I would recommend) you can install the GM EVO bypass kit (19168825) or equivalent. OR... Install a power steering pump and pressure line for a '96 truck. I've bypassed the EVO on both of my '97s using each of these methods and I can't tell a difference between them in function/performance. Using the EVO bypass kit introduces an extra connection point that could potentially leak, the '96 pump and pressure line method does not.
Thank you! The part numbers will make it SO much easier!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you! The part numbers will make it SO much easier!

You're welcome!

I'd recommend the '96 pump and pressure line bypass method personally. I originally had the GM bypass kit on both of my '97s but one of them developed a leak.

KCusick81

Reaction score
You're welcome!

I'd recommend the '96 pump and pressure line bypass method personally. I originally had the GM bypass kit on both of my '97s but one of them developed a leak.
That is the solution that I'm leaning toward. Do you happen to know the best resource for those parts?