Drop spindles for 1990 c1509

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
It this is wrong sorry I'm new,so hears my question when I order my drop spindles they sent me the wrong on its for the ext are heavy duty brakes and bigger rotor, now I've talk to a few people said I should just up grade and get the bigger rotorsand brakes.so can I just go to another 1990 c1500 and pull the rotors and everything will work and can I use my call? Thanks

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would take the opportunity to switch everything to the bigger brakes and bearings. I got too excited when I went to do my drop kit, and now I'm "stuck" with the smaller ones unless I pay for new spindles, and that ain't happening anytime soon.

Look at it as the universe sending you a message....bigger IS better in this case.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried installing them yet, or are you just asking around? If your RPO sticker is still readable, check to see if you have JB3 or JB5 brakes. My '89 C1500 was one of the fortunate ones that got the JB5s.

If you have the JB3s, get the bigger brakes.

Reaction score
Have you tried installing them yet, or are you just asking around? If your RPO sticker is still readable, check to see if you have JB3 or JB5 brakes. My '89 C1500 was one of the fortunate ones that got the JB5s.

Yea I all ready had the spindles,and mine had the 1 inches rotors,and I went to the parts store and got the wheel bearing for the bigger rotor and slide up on it,and just wanted to see if I have to change my calb.out to

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Yea I all ready had the spindles,and mine had the 1 inches rotors,and I went to the parts store and got the wheel bearing for the bigger rotor and slide up on it,and just wanted to see if I have to change my calb.out to
You're gonna need rotors, bearings, calipers. May as well go ahead and do the pads and flex hoses while you're in there. Choose the parts based on your year model C1500, but look at the application notes and pick the ones that say "extended cab" as that got the heavy duty brakes with the 1.25" rotors.

You've already got the spindles; the brake upgrade is worth it.

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll also need the brake booster.

^^^ Is that a “need” or a “want”?

I know they used a bigger booster on JB5/6 brakes but does he need it.

A hydroboost swap would be nice.

Related topic: Is his existing MC the correct Quick-take-up design, as required for the JB5/6 calipers?

If it was me, I would swap the brake calipers and MC with JB7 parts, and add SS hoses. I believe this combo yields better brake feel.

Is it “JB3” or “JN3” on the RPO list…. were both codes used over the years for the small brakes? (edit) I see JB3 used in 1991 FSM, and I see "JN1 / JN3 / JN5 / JN6 / JN7 / JN8" in the 1988 FSM, these codes similar to the "JB" and "JD" codes used later.

Last edited: