Deciphering Live Data.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's up guys, I finally was able to start getting live data. Can anyone help me figure out what is normal or not normal, this is a snapshot of my 1988 TBI at idle in park.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres another. Also at idle but after idling for longer, is there a way to make it idle normally with the ALDL cable so I can drive around easier to get live data on the move.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
knock counts aren't ever good to see... Were you goosing the throttle at all?
TPS % looks odd...not sure what that is but you'd think it would be zero??
TPS voltage looks good...
Engine speed seems high if that's warm idle....
BLM looks low but that changes....
Can you get readings in closed loop? Maybe you are in closed loop and it doesn't give that info?.you got good cross counts maybe...... you need to watch your o2 voltage (o2 sensor) and see if it's oscillating from 100mV ish to 1V ish..looks like maybe it is.........if it's stagnant around somewhere, you may be in open loop still or got a lazy o2 sensor........Shouldn't be stagnant after it's a little warm...Should see those voltages go up and down...

your phone should have an option to screen record.... Works great for driving.... and you can deactivate mic or leave it enabled if you want to speak notes out loud...like truck is stumbling..I'm stopped in drive.....etc...

Last edited:

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
knock counts aren't ever good to see... Were you goosing the throttle at all?
TPS % looks odd...not sure what that is but you'd think it would be zero??
TPS voltage looks good...
Engine speed seems high if that's warm idle....
BLM looks low but that changes....
Can you get readings in closed loop? Maybe you are in closed loop and it doesn't give that info?.you got good cross counts maybe...... you need to watch your o2 voltage (o2 sensor) and see if it's oscillating from 100mV ish to 1V ish..looks like maybe it is.........if it's stagnant around somewhere, you may be in open loop still or got a lazy o2 sensor........Shouldn't be stagnant after it's a little warm...Should see those voltages go up and down...

your phone should have an option to screen record.... Works great for driving.... and you can deactivate mic or leave it enabled if you want to speak notes out loud...like truck is stumbling..I'm stopped in drive.....etc
Knock counts were really bad I think that is my issue, I hit up to 60 driving around the block, not sure from what, exhaust leak is pretty bad though so thats my guess.

Engine speed is high from ALDL for some reason.

That was in closed loop.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is after a short drive for a few minutes knock counts get high, not sure why, motor doesnt knock at all.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is after a short drive for a few minutes knock counts get high, not sure why, motor doesnt knock at all.
You won't hear the knocks a majority of the time if they're real counts. I hate to say it but, I would get false knock counts from ALDL scan and ALDL Droid...
That doesn't mean you're not getting them but keep that in mind for sure. Not sure why it does that...
Is your timing advanced???

That last screen shot is at idle?? doesn't look right....
IAC position.....Map..ok....guess that's barometric pressure........engine speed....eesh... something going on....
still don't like that tps %....

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if his idle is high because throttle isn’t fully closing.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Looks like your TPS is malfunctioning.

What problem are you trying to diagnose?

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't hear the knocks a majority of the time if they're real counts. I hate to say it but, I would get false knock counts from ALDL scan and ALDL Droid...
That doesn't mean you're not getting them but keep that in mind for sure. Not sure why it does that...
Is your timing advanced???

That last screen shot is at idle?? doesn't look right....
IAC position.....Map..ok....guess that's barometric pressure........engine speed....eesh... something going on....
still don't like that tps %....
It seems like the truck is having a timing advance issue in general, it advanced but not enough causing it to be super sluggish.

It was after driving with the ALDL cable connected, caused idle to be way high at 1800 not sure why it affects idle having the cable connected.