cruising issue, kind of like a violent hiccup, 96 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Cam retard properly set??
Quoting this 6 year old reply because it is relevant, and was ignored. Especially since OP says he replaced the "entire ignition system" indicating distributor was possibly replaced.

Richard

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@atrainsgt is it like a physical jerk to the Truck? It sounds kind of like what I have going on, except for me it's just the rpms drop about 250rpm over and over. Like someones bass drum pedaling the gas pedal, but dropping rpm instead of raising.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque converter clutch engaging and disengaging?
Its quite possible. I'm not really sure, but I'm doing all the little things to address it as such. I changed the speed sensor, I changed the fluid and shift solenoids, the brake switch.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first of all this is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for quite a while before I signed up. Anyway this is my 96 silverado 5.7, automatic that I've been fixing up little by little. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. The issue I'm having now is that while cruising or under light acceleration typically above 45mph every once in a while the truck will violently jerk, just once then continue cruising smooth for a few minutes then do it again. At first I thought the Trans might be jumping out of overdrive, but as near as I can tell the tach stays stable when the truck does the violent hiccup. Any ideas on this? It could be the engine randomly cutting out for a split second, but it's just the level of harshness with it that makes me wonder. It shifts and drives normal otherwise. Luckily it isn't a daily driver for me so it hasn't really been too much of an issue. Any ideas?
Brother I’ve been dealing with this issue in these trucks for 15 years now. It happens when you’re going down the highway, and you have to hold higher rpms for a period of time, like when climbing a hill. The truck begins to lose power (though the engine is still running) and then the shudder and vibrations occur for a minute or so, and only clears up when you let off the gas and let it clear out.

I have searched for an answer to this for 15 years. Can anyone please tell me what the problem is?