Courtesy light wiring / K2xx puddle light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. 93 k1500. Courtesy lights. So i know what makes them work. However i hit a snag when i tried wiring in the k2xx puddle light to them . Whenever i wire the light to courtesy pos or neg, (without door being open or headlight switch dimmer rolled up) the puddle light comes on. In all of my troubleshooting here are my findings. All of this done with truck off / keys out of ignition. Kicker is ALL COURTESY LIGHTING IS WORKING PROPERLY but. There is ghost voltage triggerin the puddle light to come on. I even ran temporary jumper wires in case i had a possible short; but ohming out confirmed no shorts. I also took a video of findingds. Question is ; is there supposed to be voltage while courtesy off ? Can the puddle lights only work as reverse lights in the k2xx mirrrors?

Courtesy ON via dimmer switch OR door plunger (got same reading)

Courtesy pos to neg - 11.47v
Courtest pos to body ground - 11.48v
Courtes neg to body ground - 0.03v

COURTESY OFF

courtesy neg to body ground 6.6v
Courtesy pos to body ground 11.47v

Ohm

Courtesy pos to courtesy neg open
Body grnd to courtesy pos open
Body grnd to courtesy neg close 30.4k

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it matter you still had the other door open?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iirc, I thought the courtesy lighting system is ground side switched, so you’ll have voltage always. There could be something like a single strand of wire grounded out, a screw through a wire, wire pinched in the door somewhere like behind the sail panel.
Body grnd to courtesy neg close 30.4k
That’s a whole bunch. .02 is about where a good connection should be.
I would re-trace your steps and check your harness carefully.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iirc, I thought the courtesy lighting system is ground side switched, so you’ll have voltage always. There could be something like a single strand of wire grounded out, a screw through a wire, wire pinched in the door somewhere like behind the sail panel.

That’s a whole bunch. .02 is about where a good connection should be.
I would re-trace your steps and check your harness carefully.
Yea i thought i did that. And yea i knew I the 30 was high ; which is why i mentioned that. I have no idea where a wire could be pinched at. I even measured / same readings on the pssgr side courtesy as well.

Question; in the 3 wire door plunger on driver side. Do one of those trigger 12v when the door opens? Im assuming if its like the 4wd 3 wire system it has one hot, one ground, and one traveler that gets hot on activaton

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So yes as u stated ; its negative side switched. Im gona look at service manual wiring tomorrow to see where else it goes. Just odd that even if it is shorted somewhetre the courtesy light themselves act and operate properly. Its just when i add the other wire ; that puddle light stays hot 100 % of the time but the courtesy does as they suppose to

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you adding the puddle light on the ground side or power side? As door plunger has power standing by waiting for plunger contact completing to ground.

95burban

Friends don’t let friends use spindles.
Reaction score
What kind of bulb is in the puddle light? Do you have an old 194 socket and bulb you can test with?