Confusion on aftermarket sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryred98

98 k1500 pro comp 4” lift
Reaction score
I’m thinking this weekend I’ll hook up a continuity tester to them and figure out what is what and if that don’t work I gotta pull panels.

Constantine

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done similar before, even in my daily '12 2500hd.... but... I usually leave the rear speakers on the head unit.... or completely off.
A properly setup system should approach the listener as if you were sitting at an actual sound stage in concert.... is what I've always been told....
Some folks do the opposite with thinking the rear speakers are more close to the ear.... not common but I've had the discussion with some local goofballs.
If you're going to add an amp back...
what I would do... and have done....
After checking to see if there is appropriate resistance... install the amp, make some quick and easy leads with 2.5 amp fuses and try the wires one (speaker) at a time to try and make heads/tails of what you have.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are the wires for the sub(s)? Are they in that bundle with the yellow terminated wires? What I'm guessing, and I'm only guessing because the pics aren't to clear, is possibly that 2 pairs of those wires are for rear speakers, and the other 4 pair are for an active front stage (tweeters and mids have their own crossover and power) BUT usually that's more of a high end install and the wiring you have there doesn't scream hi end. I may have missed it but what do you have for speakers in the doors?

I'm also confused on what the relays would be for back there.

Do you have any pics of the whole panel to give an idea on how it was all laid out? The fact that there's 3 pair in one bundle and 3 pair in another, that are that far apart is also confusing.

Cherryred98

98 k1500 pro comp 4” lift
Reaction score
Where are the wires for the sub(s)?
The wires that are twisted together are for the subs
I'm also confused on what the relays would be for back there.
A hot wire comes off the head unit and goes into the relay, a fused hot wire comes from the splitter block next to the relay and from the relay it splits to the two amps for rem wires so it’s easier on the head unit
and the other 4 pair are for an active front stage (tweeters and mids have their own crossover and power) BUT usually that's more of a high end install and the wiring you have there doesn't scream hi end. I may have missed it but what do you have for speakers in the doors?
they are and there is 12 pair of wires with the yellow fork connectors. It has cervin Vega component speakers and tweets (1 tweet the guy ripped the other one out with the amps and subs) those four speakers run directly off the head unit, the tweets use stock wiring and same with the mids
Do you have any pics of the whole panel to give an idea on how it was all laid out? The fact that there's 3 pair in one bundle and 3 pair in another, that are that far apart is also confusing.
I do not but I will get one in a bit when I get out to my truck.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A hot wire comes off the head unit and goes into the relay, a fused hot wire comes from the splitter block next to the relay and from the relay it splits to the two amps for rem wires so it’s easier on the head unit
That is highly unnecessary, it takes more current to energize that relay than a half dozen amplifiers would draw on the head unit.

Have you pulled the door panels to see if those wires are just laying in the doors not hooked to anything?