Cheap Speaker Upgrades for 88-94 Interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I reverted to the stock stereo (which, thankfully, was kept complete and intact, just disconnected, when the previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo), and it works well enough, except the speakers are kind of tinny, with virtually no bass response and iffy treble.

I'm not a big speaker fanatic by any means, so I'm not looking for anything fancy. I do appreciate good sound quality, however, and I would like to know if there are any budget friendly ($40-$60 per pair, ideally) 4x6" speakers that have better bass and treble response that would serve as drop-in replacements for the undoubtedly very worn out stock set.

This is a '94 GMC Sierra K2500. It has the second set that sits behind the seats, and I might consider replacing those too at some point, but I just want to concentrate on the dash speakers for now, as they're easier to get to.

Thank you!

c

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I dunno about $40-60, but my pair of Infinity Kappa plates give me fantastic sound for their size, even with the factory system.
https ://www. amazon. com/dp/B07657R646

The forum keeps f-ing up the Amazon link.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@AK49BWL If the reviews are to be believed, it appears that the speakers you mention might actually be a good deal. I have more than $80 in reward points, so total cost would actually be well within my budget, as the points more than offset the extra cost.

As I mentioned, I'm just going to change out the dash speakers for now, because, again, they're easier to get to, but also more impactful, since they are primarily what gets heard up front. I don't really know why there's a pair in back, honestly, as when I set the faders to front only, I can't tell much of a difference (the system is a bit quieter, perhaps).

Sonic filler? Or maybe it's an effort to create a sort of faux surround sound-like experience?

Like I said, I'm not a speaker fanatic (or more specifically, I'm not a car stereo fanatic), so I don't know much beyond the basics about how and why some things are set up the way they are.

c

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grabbed a set of Kickers a while back for the dash. Were like $70 Canadian.
Not high end, but definitely better than stock by miles.
You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been surprised at the performance-for-the-money of Sound Ordnance speakers from crutchfield.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right!

If I want big bass, I'll get a subwoofer. That much I know. But all I want is to get some speakers that aren't quite as tinny and worn out sounding as the (presumably 30 year old original) stock speakers.

In other words, practically any pair of speakers I get would offer a meaningful sound quality improvement :)

c