Cannot Manually Select 1st Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

Don't listen to me, I'm retarded
Reaction score
To anyone who may find this post in the future or present. I finally got around to buying a OEM cable like @NickTransmissions said and it fixed my problem 100%. Learn from my lesson and don’t cheap out unless you like doing extra work
Yeah, there are certain things you can cheap out on (I am a tightwad whenever at all possible) and certain things you cannot. Brakes- not recommended. Drivetrain- not recommended. Engine parts and most sensors- no go. Tires- not generally recommended. It's either Napa or OEM for me in most cases.

Feral peasant

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all I have a 1997 K1500 Ext. cab. My shifter cable rusted out under the carpet a few day’s ago. I finally got around to replacing it but I cannot select 1st gear. I have tried the 10 time adjustment thing it doesn’t help at all. I replaced the range sensor. I’m kinda pulling my hair out here any help or insight would be appreciated!
Just solved this problem on my 4l80e I had to take the part that connects to the transmission apart and manually adjust it to get the slack out it would original only go from P-D then reran the cable after taking the seats out and folding the carpet back got back manual 3rd and 2nd but doing what I said above made me get back to manual first I bought a cheap line for a out $80 or sm like that