4L80 No 1st Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Multiple test drives later at 170-180 operating temps it's still good so seems unlikely to not be fixed. Old solenoid will be waiting for me inside the truck as well. I'll get back to it on the 28th.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple test drives later at 170-180 operating temps it's still good so seems unlikely to not be fixed. Old solenoid will be waiting for me inside the truck as well. I'll get back to it on the 28th.
Cool, man - glad to hear it's back on the road and running as it should.

For anyone that is curious as to what I'm thinking I will find when I test the old solenoid (and how), check out the video below - skip to 1:12:46 to see the solenoid testing process. This transmission had a major gear train failure and a mysterious "No 2-3 upshift" condition which I believe was caused by a bad 3-2 control solenoid.

I use a special test block in combination with a 12V battery and shop air to test solenoids for mechanical function...The test block is designed to work with 4L60E and 4L80E variable force solenoids. When the solenoid is hooked to the test block, charged with air and energized, it was barely responding while another 3-2 solenoid responded exactly how it should have and therefore passed the test.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, man - glad to hear it's back on the road and running as it should.

For anyone that is curious as to what I'm thinking I will find when I test the old solenoid (and how), check out the video below - skip to 1:12:46 to see the solenoid testing process. This transmission had a major gear train failure and a mysterious "No 2-3 upshift" condition which I believe was caused by a bad 3-2 control solenoid.

I use a special test block in combination with a 12V battery and shop air to test solenoids for mechanical function...The test block is designed to work with 4L60E and 4L80E variable force solenoids. When the solenoid is hooked to the test block, charged with air and energized, it was barely responding while another 3-2 solenoid responded exactly how it should have and therefore passed the test.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Do you have any way to do that test with a cold and hot solenoid?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any way to do that test with a cold and hot solenoid?
Do you mean, literally a solenoid at room temp and a solenoid that has been heated to operating temperature? If so, I would test it cold then immerse the solenoid in transmission fluid on a hot plate, heating it up to 175 degrees or so then re-test to see if it fails (assuming it passes cold).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you mean, literally a solenoid at room temp and a solenoid that has been heated to operating temperature? If so, I would test it cold then immerse the solenoid in transmission fluid on a hot plate, heating it up to 175 degrees or so then re-test to see if it fails (assuming it passes cold).

Perfect, we both saw it tank at 160.