Cam bearing oil hole position.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Lets have a little fun, I am in the process of freshening up a 90,000 mile engine to install in the '92 that had a broken crank and then the replacement engine developed a coolant leak in the #2 cylinder wall.I am hoping that the 3rd time is a charm.
So I am replacing all of the bearings in the "new" block a did not pay attention to the cam bearing oil hole position, and when I went to the FSM there is not a procedure listed for cam bearing replacement. SO why not You tube? What a CF!, ten guys with ten different technics and the same for manufacturers they all have a different procedure.
What say the forum( this should be fun). I found my answer by dissasembling a factory block, let the fun begin.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine were all over the place when I pulled them out. They were also pretty roached.
You must be registered for see images attach

Front to back they were numbered, 1-2-3-3-2. I have no history on this engine as it was a pull out, but no signs of a rebuild. Bearings had GM stamps.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
The block that I pulled apart has them #1-12o'clock and 4 o'clock, #2,#3,#4 -4 o'clock and #5 at 12 o'clock with the block upright as it would be installed in the truck. They are also factory bearings.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

If this is a small-block, it doesn't matter where the oil hole is located. Kinda thinking GM stabs them in at any random angle that happens to be convenient for them.

Although, in MY shop, the oil hole goes in so it's at about 2:00--3:00 as seen from the front of the block, unless there's more than one hole, where one hole is an outlet that should be aligned with a drilling in the block.

Here's what Dura-Bond/AERA has to say:

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

If this is a small-block, it doesn't matter where the oil hole is located. Kinda thinking GM stabs them in at any random angle that happens to be convenient for them.

Although, in MY shop, the oil hole goes in so it's at about 2:00--3:00 as seen from the front of the block, unless there's more than one hole, where one hole is an outlet that should be aligned with a drilling in the block.

Here's what Dura-Bond/AERA has to say:

Yeah sorry I forgot to include the engine, 5.7 TBI.