Caliper rebuild--iron single-piston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pull out the square-cut seal from the caliper bore, clean-up and inspect the seal, and clean-up the caliper bore and caliper groove.

Look at the dust-boot, see if it's torn.

I'm not seeing a nick in the piston. There's a tiny "dash" just above your thumb...I think it's too small to cause a problem. But you do need to clean the sludge off the top of the piston, and clean-out the dust-boot groove.

Update: I've bought my first couple of sets of Raybestos Element 3 pads. The Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads work OK, (stop good, no brake dust) but service life has been less than ideal.

Did you get the Element3 hybrid pads or something else? The hybrids are supposed to be a mix of ceramic and semi metallic? Or be the best of both worlds some other how. They have more bite than other parts store pads, but I can't speak to service life. Have you driven on them yet?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get the Element3 hybrid pads or something else? The hybrids are supposed to be a mix of ceramic and semi metallic? Or be the best of both worlds some other how. They have more bite than other parts store pads, but I can't speak to service life. Have you driven on them yet?
EHT999H and EHT1159H. Amazon description says they "combine the best attributes of Ceramic and Semi-Metallic..."

Doesn't say they're actually a mix of ceramic and semi-met, just that they have the attributes of ceramic and semi-met. So who knows what they're actually composed of.

I haven't even opened the box they were shipped in.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EHT999H and EHT1159H. Amazon description says they "combine the best attributes of Ceramic and Semi-Metallic..."

Doesn't say they're actually a mix of ceramic and semi-met, just that they have the attributes of ceramic and semi-met. So who knows what they're actually composed of.

I haven't even opened the box they were shipped in.

Yep, they're the hybrids. I think the non hybrids have less bite is why I asked. I'd be curious to get your impression once installed. I tried a number of different pads on my race car before being satisfied with the PFC-11 by Performance Friction. It has the best combination of coefficient of friction, modulation, pad wear, and pad life hands down of everything I'd tried.