Calibration of speedometer in a Vortec truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jegs still sales the jet programer, for our vehicles. It's expensive though. You may get luckey and find 1 on FB MP. As long as it is unlocked you should be good to go. You would need to plug it into you vehicle before you buy it. This will tell you if it is locked to a vehicle, or not. As soon as I plug mine into the port, in my truck, it says it is locked to my VIN number. Just FYI. Buying a new one, I would call and talk to a sales person, to be sure it is correct for your vehicle. I also looked on Summit racing sight, and it didn't come up, but it would be worth a phone call to find out for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904-141309.png
    Screenshot_20240904-141309.png
    443.6 KB · Views: 3

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Jegs still sales the jet programer, for our vehicles. It's expensive though. You may get luckey and find 1 on FB MP. As long as it is unlocked you should be good to go. You would need to plug it into you vehicle before you buy it. This will tell you if it is locked to a vehicle, or not. As soon as I plug mine into the port, in my truck, it says it is locked to my VIN number. Just FYI. Buying a new one, I would call and talk to a sales person, to be sure it is correct for your vehicle. I also looked on Summit racing sight, and it didn't come up, but it would be worth a phone call to find out for sure.
yeah I saw that this was the cheapest I found https://www.cspracing.com/jet-perfo...LPzavEGPRgDcoCT76LBhpjGg5hJZAeb0wK9Y2AdFGk3Qh

99xcss4

Reaction score

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought and returned that, would not talk to my 97. Jet told me they typically don't work with 96 and 97 most of the time, but work great with 98-99

99xcss4

Reaction score

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Using a relatively larger tire will increase your actual speed relative to your indicated speed.

Since your actual speed is already low, you can compensate for that by going with a slightly larger tire as you suggested.

I would compare the indicated speed to actual speed at a number of points, maybe 25, 45, 65 and 85 miles an hour, and then pick a tire size that would compensate best for the error at the speeds which are most important to you.

So, if nominally your indicated speed is 1.052x of actual, increase your tire diameter by 1.052x to compensate.

In the example you gave, your indicated speed is 30 but your actual is 26. You can compensate for that by increasing the tire diameter by 30/26 = 1.15x
I'm going by the digital speed readers on the speed limit signs; this town we go through has 25 mph limits and the readers under the signs. Of course those "should be" accurate, but I don't want to have to deal with this town's traffic court to find out! Like I said earlier, this has slid down the priority list several notches....

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going by the digital speed readers on the speed limit signs; this town we go through has 25 mph limits and the readers under the signs. Of course those "should be" accurate, but I don't want to have to deal with this town's traffic court to find out! Like I said earlier, this has slid down the priority list several notches....
We are trying to spend your money HotWheels! I already picked out your new laptop.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
think another option could be to to go to the junk yard or get on ebay and find another 96 or 97 pcm and send it to @df2x4

I probably could, but I'd have to pay the $100 PCM license fee for JET DST as I've used all my included licenses. That combined with shipping a PCM across the country at least twice would add up a bit, and I'm not super confident in my ability to nail the changes on the first try. Would make a lot more sense if she were local to me and could just drive it over.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
We are trying to spend your money HotWheels! I already picked out your new laptop.
Wouldn't mind that so much, if I had plenty to spend..... this is the week between paychecks. And when I get $$$ next week in my "semi discretionary" account, part of that needs to go to Minnesota for the shop manuals. I know we have the digital version on here, but those are difficult to access on my phone!

99xcss4

Reaction score