Brake shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obstuba916

Reaction score
I’ve read a couple threads but I couldn’t find someone with a similar experience. 1994 Chevy Silverado 5.7 tbi 2wd.

For about a week now my brakes are rumbling/shaking when stopped at a stoplight, on the brakes. It hasn’t gotten better or worse but sometimes it doesn’t happen but always while driving and always stopped on the brakes. Not in park either. I say rumbling and shaking because I can feel it shaking on the drivers side.

So normally while idling the truck rumbles and when I say that I mean move sideways slightly while the engine idles. I think this is a pretty universal phenomenon with these trucks so I hope you know what I mean. I noticed that natural shake/rumble growing larger almost a week ago and I think it’s brake related. I’ll be stopped and it feels like the brakes are shaking at least on the drivers side. I feel it in the seat too which makes me think it could be my trans mount but it’s all tight.

I got under there and checked the hardware and lines and everything is tight with no leaks. The break reservoir isn’t leaking nor the booster.

I put on new break pads maybe 5k miles ago but did not replace the rotors. They looked fine. I don’t know if that’s helpful info.

I’m going on a camping trip tomorrow so I’m just going to take it easy but I’ll tackle this when I get back.

My buddy told me it could be the abs control module or the brake booster going bad but I need the expertise of the forum. Thank you in advance for helping and please give me as much advice as you can! Thanks!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hood up , in drive, watch engine through gap , throttle up see if engine moves/ torques over ? Bad engine mount?
You say it thumps, or makes an abnormal noise. With brake pedal depressed? Happens in drive at stop? Happens in park with brake depressed? If in park get a helper to press brake pedal, or place a weight on brake pedal, then look, listen, feel around where is noise coming from. Then plan how to repair, replace , fix noise.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just slapping new pads on is not a good idea. They look OK, unless you have " micrometer eyeballs " and " runout gauge fingers " your not getting the best braking, or wear longevity. At least turn the rotors for true flat surface, or new rotors with OK quality are a economical investment. Like everything it's your choice.