Brake and steering loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyTanker

Reaction score
I have a 99 k3500 crew cab, 5.7l non dually. I was checking my drum breaks and seen all my springs were rusted bad. My spreader bar on one side had fallen our of position. So I got a complete spring kit and shoes. After replacing all that it seemed like I didn't have rear brakes. Then when I turn after applying the breaks I had lost power steering. I thought because I had just messed around with the breaks that I had somehow induced air into the system via the wheel cylinders. So bled the system. Still the same problem. So now I'm thinking my steering pump is bad and since I have hydroboost brakes and not getting sufficient pressure for both. While ordering a pump, I'm reading about this E.V.O. on the steering pump and was thinking that was the problem. So at this point I'm not sure if the pump is the problem, hydrobooster problem, stupid little evo valve or all of it? If I replace the pump should I delete the evo valve? What says you?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99 k3500 crew cab, 5.7l non dually.
13" rear drums? Probably JD8?

I was checking my drum breaks
Breaks = broken.
Brakes = a mechanism for stopping something.

and seen all my springs were rusted bad. My spreader bar on one side had fallen our of position.
Yup. That's bad.

So I got a complete spring kit and shoes. After replacing all that it seemed like I didn't have rear brakes.
Improper adjustment of the shoes?

Have you ever done a brake job before?

Then when I turn after applying the breaks I had lost power steering.
Odd timing of a semi-related failure.

I thought because I had just messed around with the breaks that I had somehow induced air into the system via the wheel cylinders. So bled the system. Still the same problem.
Did you use a scan tool to auto-bleed the ABS?

So now I'm thinking my steering pump is bad and since I have hydroboost brakes and not getting sufficient pressure for both.
Seems reasonable. Is the serpentine belt and tensioner still in good condition? PS fluid level appropriate?

While ordering a pump, I'm reading about this E.V.O. on the steering pump and was thinking that was the problem. So at this point I'm not sure if the pump is the problem, hydrobooster problem, stupid little evo valve or all of it? If I replace the pump should I delete the evo valve? What says you?
"I" would start by getting a decent, firm brake pedal that isn't overly-low. Remember, the booster isn't working, so "decent" and "firm" are going to be different than if the booster were functional. Let's start by making sure the brakes work.

TommyTanker

Reaction score
Yes 13", breaks=typo, mechanic says brakes were adjusted properly, do not have that type of scantool, belt is relatively new and fluid is good,

I have a firm peddle with and without engine running and sitting still. It is after using more than 50% brake that I lose steering and brakes. It just doesn't feel like the rears are working. I used to be able to slam the brakes on and lock the rear up. Now it really just feels like the fronts are doing all the work.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
13" rear drums? Probably JD8?

Breaks = broken.
Brakes = a mechanism for stopping something.

Yup. That's bad.

Improper adjustment of the shoes?

Have you ever done a brake job before?

Odd timing of a semi-related failure.

Did you use a scan tool to auto-bleed the ABS?

Seems reasonable. Is the serpentine belt and tensioner still in good condition? PS fluid level appropriate?

"I" would start by getting a decent, firm brake pedal that isn't overly-low. Remember, the booster isn't working, so "decent" and "firm" are going to be different than if the booster were functional. Let's start by making sure the brakes work.
Yup hydro boost systems will not be happy and work properly with low fluid level in the reservoir. Or with air in the system, nor will your hydraulic brakes work properly with those situations. Also, check that your serpentine belt AND tensioner and idler pulleys are in good shape (and spin without much resistance or noise). I had the idler pulley fail and lock up on my '97 C3500 5.7, and we were on the road when it happened. Broke the belt, lost power assist on brakes and steering, and no fan or water pump movement to cool the engine. Luckily we could pull off into a parking lot quickly and I could get the parts as there was a parts store within a few blocks.
The rear brakes may not be adjusted properly. If drum brakes are adjusted correctly, there won't be much space between the shoes' lining and the drum surface. The idea being that there won't be much space to take up when the brakes are applied; less distance= quicker brake actuation.
You also need to inspect the booster and power steering hoses and metal lines. A leak in one of these will create the problem you're having.

TommyTanker

Reaction score
So I finally had time to replace the steering pump. I had the parts for weeks, just little to no time. That solved my problem. While I was at it I deleted my air conditioning and put in an idler pulley. No sure what exactly was wrong with it. I just knew it would cost money I didn't need to waste. Ive been without since i had the truck and I got 4 operable windows so... Transmission is next, just need a few more parts.