Borgeson box quick ratio comparison vs normal ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just BARELY start turning steering wheel while watching front wheel, it moves instantaneously.
Jumping in here....Mine is definitely not instant. It used to be though....it's close but not tight....you can bounce steering wheel in a dead space a good inch or so left/right while going straight...I mean you can feel the response instantly after it hits the ends of the dead space.....
on freeway going straight on a good section of pavement, truck tracks perfectly straight
Mine does too....But with goofy tire wear or whatever, just like road irregularities, that inch or so of dead space becomes a slave to the movement and you have that tiny area you have to overcompensate for..
not sure that makes sense.....
Definitely going to try those Cognito braces...Theory seems solid....

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should’ve also mentioned my original rag joint is still there too.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rub it in..lol
I only say this to give a baseline. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard on this forum “not like these trucks ever had tight steering to begin with”. I don’t buy that, and those who say they’ve had them since new, I think over the course of 25 years, you’ve forgotten how good they were once.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have some suspicions on the ttx ball joints ?
When I put them in the ball joint
( taper) with not a whole ton of torque only using a 3/8 ratchet really seated the lower ball joints very tightly to the point that the ( spindles) were pretty resistant to want to move freely by hand as I alway test the left and right on spindle swaps free play
I don’t know how I feel about them .. or if they could be machined wrong or just very tight on the tolerances.
Unless I should go by a lower and upper ball joint torque spec and forget the resistance
I had them on lowered new djm spindles and also now back on stocks ….
I seem to have a noticeable slight positive camber now After doing all these parts ! Almost as if it would look like if a coil spring wasn’t seated .. but I never did anything with them they’re in packs stock and been that way since 1999 so can’t be that …
But then again my alignment is off enough to pull to the left slightly.. maybe it’s just that…

I’ll see what the alignment reveals but I’m not sure the ttx is what it’s all about … even tho they have beef and nice “cotter pins “

Don't know if you are installing this in a C or a K,

About 4-5 years ago I replaced virtually everything to do with steering and beyond in my 96 K1500--new C-arm bushings, Timken wheel hub bearings, Moog pittman, drag link, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and idler bracket.....and Moog ball joints.

Within 10k one upper bj was showing movement, by 15k both uppers were showing movement. Pizzed, I tried the MevoTech TTX's and the improvement was significant--better than when all the front end parts were replaced 15k before. I posted about the MevoTechs on here at that time.

My dad bought this 96 truck new. It steered significantly better than the 91 Light Duty K2500 I bought with 9k on the truck in 1992. The 96 had much heavier steering feel and stayed centered even on washboard gravel roads. I've never been able to replicate that feel. Not long after installing the upper TTX's I installed the lower TTX's, and it slightly improved the feel even more.

Like others I've been through numerous steering boxes, including a brand new BBB Vision box--it was only slightly better and became sloppy by 15k. BUT.......miraculously I currently have an Oreilly's box that is better than any other box I've tried. Alas, it's starting to acquire a small bit of slop.

And yes, the MevotTech's have a lot more resistance, and I think that helps the steering feel and return to center.

The Borgeson looks plum interesting. Been thinking about a BlueTop. Now I don't know which would be the better bet........

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, after reading through this thread...

A great way to damage the seals, bearings, and gears on a steering gear box is to pry the pitman arm off with anything. A pitman arm puller isn't very expensive.

The lock to lock steering on the K's are limited by the steering knuckles. It was sometime in late 97 or in 98 when the knuckle was changed to allow for a couple degrees sharper turn.

I use a thick grade 8 nut to drive the pitman arm back onto the steering box shaft. It takes a good impact to accomplish this.

Moog pitman arms are stupidly tight--unnecessarily tight in my opion.

What is the part number for the regular ratio Borgeson for a 96 (and 97) K1500? Thanks in advance!

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A great way to damage the seals, bearings, and gears on a steering gear box is to pry the pitman arm off with anything
Agreed which is why I did and I would assume most just replace the pitman arm with the new box . There was no way in hell I was playn knuckle bustin with that pitman.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the part number for the regular ratio Borgeson for a 96
That’s a good question I know red head offers one pretty sure , I never even thought to look for the reg one with Borgeson i had wanted the 12:7:1 anyways ..
They may not offer it , not certain on that

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
miraculously I currently have an Oreilly's box that is better than any other box I've tried.
That’s really hard to even believe ! I heard someone else say there stock box either ( up-kept) or an original replacement feels and steers just as if not nicer then a Borgeson with no slop .. so maybe everyone is jumping on the wagon for these 500$ boxes just cause ‘ I guess I’m one of them guys lol .. I’m giving it some time I am liking it more and more , I just need to get new tires and an alignment to really know.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did install the Cognito braces
Tell me about these, didn’t know this was a thing …
Do they do a whole lot in terms of noticeable steering resistance or keeping the steering straight or keeps it from wandering? Or do these pretty much just help push and pull the center linkage more evenly because it sort of lends itself as a ( double sided ) upper and lower pitman when steering , base on the way it bolts onto the center link
They sure look thin for 299$ but I might get these actually soon..