Borgeson box quick ratio comparison vs normal ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it is not supposed to have that play. I posted this in my build thread and the consensus was also “no.” Borgeson tried to pass it off as normal, AFTER they tried blaming my steering column and the non-existent rag joint.
The saddest part about all this is these boxes would be so unrecognizable as any type of upgrade to a average buyer if you or anyone were to sell their obs , most would just assume it’s supposed to be normal steering and could care less the seller thru in a 500$ gear box .. unless we’re selling to a enthusiast who knows the flaky faults these trucks have. I thought I would try this box for the time being because I actually needed a new one badly !! but I also been considering selling my suburban before all this ..For that matter .. the lack of content I have for the upgrade and the price it cost why give it to someone who’s gonna see and know any difference in steering …
If I personally ever go to sell this suv.. I’m going to take this out sell it second-hand, or keep it for a scsb truck and put a known good used decent oem back in this prior to selling.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it is not supposed to have that play. I posted this in my build thread and the consensus was also “no.” Borgeson tried to pass it off as normal, AFTER they tried blaming my steering column and the non-existent rag joint.
Were the nbs trucks plagued with the same gearbox or steering shaft issues

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea but is this normal for a new box every box or 1-50 boxes . It doesn’t seem accurate to have more then 1/4” maybe 1/2” play in the shaft before the box gears grab .
I don't know. Mine wasn't a thing until maybe the last several months when I started to notice play that wasn't there before. I brought it up in a thread in recent past so I can only assume it's not normal. I'm going to check a bit later how much play there is and grab my original box and see as well. Got sidetracked yesterday.
Wondering if there will be a tight response with the original but also wondering if the added components once installed could change that. Seems possible that the resistance from the pitman arm being connected to the center link could be enough to make it take an inch or so to get it to initially respond. idk...
All I know is my borgeson was tight for a long time and it was noticeable when it started getting slop....

Looking online, I saw CDL inspection notes that upwards of 2 inches is acceptable and want to say I read that GM specs for our boxes were over an inch but I would have to find that again.....maybe I'm imagining things...

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know. Mine wasn't a thing until maybe the last several months when I started to notice play that wasn't there before. I brought it up in a thread in recent past so I can only assume it's not normal. I'm going to check a bit later how much play there is and grab my original box and see as well. Got sidetracked yesterday.
Wondering if there will be a tight response with the original but also wondering if the added components once installed could change that. Seems possible that the resistance from the pitman arm being connected to the center link could be enough to make it take an inch or so to get it to initially respond. idk...
All I know is my borgeson was tight for a long time and it was noticeable when it started getting slop....

Looking online, I saw CDL inspection notes that upwards of 2 inches is acceptable and want to say I read that GM specs for our boxes were over an inch but I would have to find that again.....maybe I'm imagining things...
Yea I mean there is the weight of the truck turning against pavement all the linkages and joints in between seems like a lot or initial resistance for a few gears inside a box to have more resistance then all that combined .. that’s a good possibility or narrative. But why would that same concept not apply to nbs trucks the steering slop was really only 88-98 .

Racks must be constructed internally entirely differently to be able to handle all that resistance without slop.

It’s just such a shame to be that close to perfection or damn near.. why couldn't they put in the extra engineering. i’ll accept it because it’s better than nothing but I’m not impressed.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

They say 2 “ is acceptable but to the driver No notta” for 500$ it should be tight as hel*
That still causes for lane changing and sailing lol.. it’s still slop at the end of the day

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I mean there is the weight of the truck turning against pavement all the linkages and joints in between seems like a lot or initial resistance for a few gears inside a box to have more resistance then all that combined .. that’s a good possibility or narrative. But why would that same concept not apply to nbs trucks the steering slop was really only 88-98 .

Racks must be constructed internally entirely differently to be able to handle all that resistance without slop.

It’s just such a shame to be that close to perfection or damn near.. why couldn't they put in the extra engineering. i’ll accept it because it’s better than nothing but I’m not impressed.
How exactly are you checking this again?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

How exactly are you checking this again?
Removing the lower steering shaft out of the upper and free hand twisting the lower shaft connected to the Borgeson box.
As well as the same concept and sloppage transfers to the steering wheel visually 1 -2” of free play before the box even transfers to the pitman arm or linkage and then the wheels move .
It’s tolerance on a 500$ gearbox they call ok I call bs

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing the lower steering shaft out of the upper and free hand twisting the lower shaft connected to the Borgeson box.
As well as the same concept and sloppage transfers to the steering wheel visually 1 -2” of free play before the box even transfers to the pitman arm or linkage and then the wheels move .
It’s tolerance on a 500$ gearbox they call ok I call bs
How does it track going straight down the freeway…hands off wheel?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's my Borgeson....
Not a great video because you can't see pitman moving when it definitely is and moving wheels but at 1 minute where I'm rapidly spinning the shaft back and forth by hand you can see the amount of slop... I mean, it's really responsive once it gets past it.. It's very slight... I imagine the multiple points of slop in the shaft by the time it gets to steering wheel makes it worse in steering wheel ....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing the lower steering shaft out of the upper and free hand twisting the lower shaft
Well I didn’t do this, but I just went out, started truck and just BARELY start turning steering wheel while watching front wheel, it moves instantaneously. Like ANY movement coincides with each other. So, I don’t think the weight of the truck impinges that relationship. Front end was rebuilt 2 years ago, original untouched steering gear and on freeway going straight on a good section of pavement, truck tracks perfectly straight. I’ve gone hands free(Professional driver here! ;)), it will track straight as long as no bumps or curves. I’ve done this at least 1/8” of a mile. I did install the Cognito braces and a SuperSteer idler bracket, I’m sure that doesn’t hurt.