Big block swap C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97c1500ext

Reaction score
I plan on doing a 454/4l80/0411 swap into my 97 extended cab 1500, it is a factory 305. Are there any other factory components that need to be upgraded? I know everything after the trans will be but what about suspension or steering? I was told the front springs with AC and an SB are the same as a BB but there isn't a BB option for a 1500 besides the SS so im not sure i believe that. I've read the 2500 and up BB engine mounts will work fine, is that correct? I plan on removing the radiator and most of the front end but do i need to remove the fenders as well or can i get away with them on? Can i pull the factory motor and trans as a single unit easily?

Im trying to get a cohesive plan together before i dig into this so any info that isnt "duh just LS swap it" is appreciated.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your on the right track. Get a set of big block mounts. I would personally go with bigger springs, probably 2500 ones as the 454SS would probably be lighter rate due to the cab difference.
The more you clear out of the way in front, the easier it will be. Hood, rad core support and possibly the bumper will make it so much easier. Inner fenders should be able to stay put. Drop the transmission cross member and support it with a floor jack so it moves and then you can lower it to get the angle of the dangle right.
And definitely easier as a unit than separating them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your on the right track. Get a set of big block mounts. I would personally go with bigger springs, probably 2500 ones as the 454SS would probably be lighter rate due to the cab difference.
The more you clear out of the way in front, the easier it will be. Hood, rad core support and possibly the bumper will make it so much easier. Inner fenders should be able to stay put. Drop the transmission cross member and support it with a floor jack so it moves and then you can lower it to get the angle of the dangle right.
And definitely easier as a unit than separating them.

Have to look at and approximate where the CG is on the truck though. Past the front doors starts getting toward the rear of the trucks CG meaning very little of the added weight past the front doors is applied to the front suspension un-evenly. Sit in the back seat of a Tahoe for example and the weight is mostly on the rear springs. Regular cab, extended cab, 1500 crew cab, and SUV all have about the same front axle weight for a given drivetrain combination. The 2500s had heavier frames too and 2500 springs will give the truck a Carolina squat look aka nose to the sky. The Tahoe basically maintained the same ride height with the aftermarket SS springs (IIRC they were Moogs off Rockauto) and the 8100 weighs a bit more than a 7.4L because of the tall deck height. Can always do like a 2" shackle drop in the rear to even it out more if the front ends up dropping a little and make the truck handle better anyway.

Last edited:

97c1500ext

Reaction score
So further questions i have come up with:

Will a small block fuel pump flow enough to feed the big block or should that be an immediate upgrade?

Will the small block radiator lines hookup to the big block or do i meed to change hoses or get a totally different radiator?

Will the power steering lines hook right up to the big block pump? Is it the same pulley size/pressure or will i need to adapt the output to run the propper pressure?

Will the brake booster hook up and function the same or will it need to be swapped or modified? I also plan to swap the MC for the gmt800 model with the bigger piston which i believe just needs a single adapter on one of the brake line fittings.

I see people talk about ABS deletes because of how bad the ABS system is in these trucks. Does that apply to 97+? Is there a major benefit? Is there a way to accomplish this with no permanent dash lights?

Is there anything beyond repinning that is needed for a 0411 swap on a 97+?

I was considering swapping to coil near plug from an 8.1, i know the cam needs a lobe for the sensor and the dizzy needs to be swapped for the stand in, is there anything else needed for this? I've had numerous issues with the sbc dizzy and read the bbc ones are the same thing. Is it worth the hassel involved to swap?

Thanks again for the responses so far

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will a small block fuel pump flow enough to feed the big block or should that be an immediate upgrade?
Probably the same pump.

Will the small block radiator lines hookup to the big block or do i meed to change hoses or get a totally different radiator?
I'd expect both hoses and the radiator are different, with the radiator being bigger.

Will the power steering lines hook right up to the big block pump? Is it the same pulley size/pressure or will i need to adapt the output to run the propper pressure?
Hoses may/may not be different. Pump may be different, but I bet the pressure/volume is the same.

Will the brake booster hook up and function the same or will it need to be swapped or modified?
I suspect the booster will be fine.

I also plan to swap the MC for the gmt800 model with the bigger piston which i believe just needs a single adapter on one of the brake line fittings.
HELL, NO.

I see people talk about ABS deletes because of how bad the ABS system is in these trucks. Does that apply to 97+? Is there a major benefit? Is there a way to accomplish this with no permanent dash lights?
HELL, NO.

The problem with brakes on GMT400s is less a matter of ABS, and mostly due to the horse-shiit rear drums on most 1500s.

LEAVE the master cylinder and ABS, get rid of the 254mm leading/trailing shoe drum brakes...along with the garbage 8.5" axle. A 9.5" six-lug axle in the right gear ratio, from a C2500 would bolt right up, but needs the six lug wheels, or you'd have to install 5-lug axle shafts.

I've had numerous issues with the sbc dizzy and read the bbc ones are the same thing. Is it worth the hassel involved to swap?
Get a good distributor. The stock Vortec distributor is plastic, and the distributor cap has a common problem with the insulation breaking-down between the center button and the #3 conductor.

Likely need stiffer front springs, and a proper alignment...which means rebuilding the front suspension/steering systems.

I'm thinking that the motor mount cushions are the same, but the brackets bolted to the engine may be different. Make sure the engine you buy has the motor mount brackets attached.

The Genuine GM service manual set is your friend. Download the service manual set for your vehicle--and perhaps the donor vehicle--from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum.

Last edited:

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I disagree on the fuel pump before the 92 K-2500 suburban we had donated its drive train and front half of its frame to the frank'n truck project it had a 94 engine swaped in me not know any thing I ordered a fuel pump for a 92 with a 454 it did not put enough pressure to keep it running 94 and 95 454 and 93 454ss use higher fuel pressure then the 87-93 454 and 90-92 454ss I do not know if you are doing tbi or vortec that be being said I would get a pump that matches the year that the donor engine comes from or upgrate to a vortec pump if you are doing tbi if you are doing vortec get a 454 vortec pump

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I disagree on the fuel pump before the 92 K-2500 suburban we had donated its drive train and front half of its frame to the frank'n truck project it had a 94 engine swaped in me not know any thing I ordered a fuel pump for a 92 with a 454 it did not put enough pressure to keep it running 94 and 95 454 and 93 454ss use higher fuel pressure then the 87-93 454 and 90-92 454ss I do not know if you are doing tbi or vortec that be being said I would get a pump that matches the year that the donor engine comes from or upgrate to a vortec pump if you are doing tbi if you are doing vortec get a 454 vortec pump
'94-95 TBI 7.4's definitely use a different (higher pressure) pump and injectors than earlier 7.4's. Those are the only 2 years - 94-95. Earlier TBI 7.4's use the same pump as a small block TBI.

However, OP appears to be working on a '97. He hasn't told us, but I'm assuming it based on his member name. For Vortec 5.7 and 7.4, those use the same pump.

Richard