Arteb Headlights / Taillights End-of-Life (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
…and I wouldn’t waste money on theses products:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yes we've run into the same thing, in the model car club, trying to replicate good chrome on model cars. There's not much available, that doesn't look like junky silver paint ...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I stupidly tried to clean the inside of one using just alcohol, it ruined it instantly. I can see how easily a flood would’ve ruined those Arteb’s. It’s a shame, but they are useless at this point.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I stupidly tried to clean the inside of one using just alcohol, it ruined it instantly. I can see how easily a flood would’ve ruined those Arteb’s. It’s a shame, but they are useless at this point.

I have an Arteb reflector that I bought used back in 2019, bearing an actual "GM" sticker.

Anyway, I found it was in good condition but was simply dusty inside from sitting on a shelf for God knows how long.

The dust needed to be removed from the inside but I was short on ideas.

I figured "What the heck" and I poured distilled water into it, sloshed it around, and drained it, which removed much of the dust.

After doing this a few times, I noticed that the reflective coating was showing signs of degradation (I had been closely watching for this) so I stopped.

The net time exposed to water was not very long.

I then set the headlight in front of a hair dryer to dry it, intentionally directing the airstream across and into the bulb holes.

It came out pretty well. It's not new, but it's in pretty good condition.

The more noticeable damage is seen here, circled in yellow. Zoom-in on the first picture, there's quite a bit of degradation visible.

Attachments

• IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9431.jpeg
    IMG_9431.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Arteb reflector that I bought used back in 2019. That's a story for another time.

Anyway, I found it was in good condition but was simply dusty inside from sitting on a shelf for God knows how long.

The dust needed to be removed from the inside but I was short on ideas.

I figured "What the heck" and I poured water into it, sloshed it around, and drained it, which removed much of the dust.

After doing this a few times, I noticed that the reflective coating was showing signs of degradation (I had been closely watching for this) so I stopped.

The net time exposed to water was not very long.

I then set the headlight in front of a hair drier to dry it, intentionally directing the airstream across and into the bulb holes.

It came out pretty well. It's not new, but it's in pretty good condition.

The more noticeable damage is seen here, circled in yellow. Zoom-in on the first picture, there's quite a bit of degradation visible.
And that was clean water, never mind flood water with who knows what in it.