Airbag Went Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You ever have one of those days where you walk out to start your truck in the morning only to find this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Now I need a new dash and passenger side airbag at minimum. Could anyone tell me why this might've happended? The airbag light had come on in the week leading up to this happening, but I didn't think much of it as it would come an go intermittently since I bought the truck.

I just want to know what steps I should take to make sure that the whole airbag system is in working order, so god forbid if do actually wreck the truck I might actually live.

For any of you who don't know, this is my '98 Chevrolet Subruban K1500.

The thing that is worrying to me is that my daily driver (A 2001 S10 Blazer) also has an airbag light.

So I may drive 'Ol Yeller for the time being so I don't run the risk the airbag randomly going off in the blazer.
Im sure you know this now.
But for everybody else looking at this post.
Do not ever ignore an airbag warning light.
Any malfunction in the airbag system means stop the car right this minute and get the hell out of it.
Call a tow truck.
A check engine light or a check gauges light probably leaves you with enough time to coast to the side of the road.
An airbag deployment stops you from doing anything.
You become a part of the circus ride of whatever happens next.
An airbag light does not always mean that the airbags wont function.
Sometimes it means that there is a fault and they may fire.
That might be the front bag, on a newer car that might be a random side pillar bag.
On our old trucks that propellant is a about 2 inch diameter red looking washer of sodium azide.
You do not want to be driving down the road when that sodium azide bag deploys.
They dont use that anymore becuase it kept partially igniting the bag and the rest of it lit peoples faces onfire.
This is a been there done that built all of the former TRW airbag plants in arizona and stole sodium azide washers for the 4th of july.
Those buildings have hinged walls so if they have an explosion the walls blow open and all the dead employees and office furniture blow out in the parking lot without wrecking the building.
And they killed several people.
Dont **** around with airbag warning lights.
Dont **** around with airbags if you dont have a deep understanding of that system.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, when the Do-Not-Taunt-Happy-Fun-Ball light came on in my GMT800, I scanned it and was able to quickly identify the problem. It was one of the front impact sensors (there's two of them on this truck) - replaced, cleared code, all is well.

I don't know if it could have unintentionally deployed due to a bad sensor but it sure seems plausible, and I didn't want to be the crash dummy in that scenario.

Richard