Advice for timing chain replacement - 1992 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayvillain

Reaction score
I started this job thinking I would just:

1. Take the timing chain cover off
2. Remove old sprockets/chain
3. Clean off old gasket material, etc.
4. Install new chain/sprockets
5. Re-install cover ft. new gasket + RTV

However, when the Fel-Pro gasket came in the mail today, it seems like there are some extra steps I wasn't aware of, namely replacing the oil pan seal (see new black seal in photo). My understanding is that I may have to remove the oil pan from the truck, and since I don't have a lift and it's a 4x4, this is really putting a kink in my workflow.

There's also some stuff about a "worn groove" and "repair sleeve" I don't quite understand (see attached instructions from Fel-Pro).

FYI, I've never had any oil leaks. Anyhow...

I'm not looking for a step-by-step, but if anybody has any advice about how to go about this, I am all ears.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I really need to change out that oil pan seal...

Thank you for considering.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 8

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That oil pan seal in the kit looks like the multi piece gasket style. Check and make sure but yours being a '92 it probably has the one piece gasket. Depending on the condition I would either clean the area well and reuse it or get a new one, but not cut it and stick that piece in. A little RTV around the seams would be good insurance. If it's hard to get the cover back on with gasket in place you may need to loosen some of the front pan bolts.

Over time the front oil seal lip can wear a groove in the balancer. Instead of replacing the whole balancer, you can put a sleeve on it to restore the sealing surface. Check your old balancer, if there is no wear groove the sleeve is not necessary

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You would be lucky to not have an oil leak if you cut that old half moon seal out and then band aid it with the new and when you do you will fight to get cover on and if you loosen the oil pan and drop down for clearance, it is likely gonna leak. If you reuse the old and slap some sealer on it, IMO, you have a better chance at success but it will likely leak. To do it correctly, you should drop the pan and do a new seal and do the oil pickup tube seal while in there and clean the tube out or replace. As @EJ_74 said, the repair sleeve is for the groove that IS likely there. It may be just a rub look, where the old seal rubbed at, but it is there. I hate the repair sleeves. Get a balancer. If you are gonna keep the truck, fix it right. Good luck.