AC pressure switch keeps failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 92 blazer, all factory components and all recently replaced last year. It was also converted to r134. The ac went out some time over winter, about a week ago I had a shop check it and the pressure was good, replaced the pressure switch up by the firewall and it was great until today. That's two switches failed, one in a week, so my question is do I need a different switch after the coolant swap?

I tried a newer switch at first because I'd thought I needed to but it doesn't thread on, it's slightly too large. I don't want to jumper it for obvious reasons.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 92 blazer, all factory components and all recently replaced last year. It was also converted to r134. The ac went out some time over winter, about a week ago I had a shop check it and the pressure was good, replaced the pressure switch up by the firewall and it was great until today. That's two switches failed, one in a week, so my question is do I need a different switch after the coolant swap?

I tried a newer switch at first because I'd thought I needed to but it doesn't thread on, it's slightly too large. I don't want to jumper it for obvious reasons.
They are extremely problematic. Get the connector and switch for a 1990 G20 van application. They make a R134a specific switch that has the older R12 thread. The older style switch is much more durable. It is also adjustable and can be used to adjust the compressor cutout to maximize cooling without freezing up the evaporator core.

For factory R134a trucks, I use the equivalent switch for a 1994 G20 van. When I replace the switch on any of the GM vehicles that used that small diameter junk switch, they get the equivalent larger diameter older style switch.

Edit, the R12, 7/16-20 thread R-134a switch is Four Seasons 36674. The connector is 37219. The wires are not polarity sensitive. I have used solder sleeves for the connections on many vehicles to make a reliable junction although now I use un-insulated barrel butt connectors and 4:1 marine heatshrink. Both work equally well. Remove the switch, screw the new one on, cut the old connector off, splice the new one on. Turn the screw 1/2 turn counter clockwise. Test drive the truck down the highway. If the evaporator core does not freeze up, go 1/4 turn more and repeat. When the cores starts to freeze up you will notice loss of cooling and airflow. At that point turn the switch 1/4 turn clockwise and retest. I usually finalize that adjustment on longer road trips. If the core freezes up, I switch to vent for a few minutes to let it thaw out, then adjust it at the next stop. Balancing that fine line between freezing the evaporator core up and cycling the compressor before it freezes into a block of ice is how I achieve vent temps like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Remodelmaster

Reaction score
They are extremely problematic. Get the connector and switch for a 1990 G20 van application. They make a R134a specific switch that has the older R12 thread. The older style switch is much more durable. It is also adjustable and can be used to adjust the compressor cutout to maximize cooling without freezing up the evaporator core.

For factory R134a trucks, I use the equivalent switch for a 1994 G20 van. When I replace the switch on any of the GM vehicles that used that small diameter junk switch, they get the equivalent larger diameter older style switch.

Edit, the R12, 7/16-20 thread R-134a switch is Four Seasons 36674. The connector is 37219. The wires are not polarity sensitive. I have used solder sleeves for the connections on many vehicles to make a reliable junction although now I use un-insulated barrel butt connectors and 4:1 marine heatshrink. Both work equally well. Remove the switch, screw the new one on, cut the old connector off, splice the new one on. Turn the screw 1/2 turn counter clockwise. Test drive the truck down the highway. If the evaporator core does not freeze up, go 1/4 turn more and repeat. When the cores starts to freeze up you will notice loss of cooling and airflow. At that point turn the switch 1/4 turn clockwise and retest. I usually finalize that adjustment on longer road trips. If the core freezes up, I switch to vent for a few minutes to let it thaw out, then adjust it at the next stop. Balancing that fine line between freezing the evaporator core up and cycling the compressor before it freezes into a block of ice is how I achieve vent temps like this.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but quick question: Could this be done on a 1999 K2500 Suburban? I think the threads on the non adjustable pressure switch is currently M10-1.25. I'd love to get this thing to blow cooler.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, but quick question: Could this be done on a 1999 K2500 Suburban? I think the threads on the non adjustable pressure switch is currently M10-1.25. I'd love to get this thing to blow cooler.

36496 is the number for the metric thread. Should be the normal GM R134a switch thread, M12-1.25 like my 97 Express and 99 Tahoe.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
36496 is the number for the metric thread. Should be the normal GM R134a switch thread, M12-1.25 like my 97 Express and 99 Tahoe.

Just checked RockAuto for that p/n, this is one of the pictures provided.

I assume that slotted screw is used to adjust the cycling pressure.

Fitting Thread Size is listed as M12 X 1.50

Price on Amazon is $12.46 as of today, slightly less on RockAuto.

Last edited:

Remodelmaster

Reaction score

So what you're saying is to, cut the existing connector off, wire in a new connector (would that be the 37219?) to fit the new 36496 pressure switch, get it adjusted properly and it should blow cooler? I appreciate your response!

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what you're saying is to, cut the existing connector off, wire in a new connector (would that be the 37219?) to fit the new 36496 pressure switch, get it adjusted properly and it should blow cooler? I appreciate your response!
Exactly, that switch should thread right on. Splice on the 37219 connector and good to go. If the compressor is currently cutting out early it will make a big difference at highway speeds especially.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have actually considered wiring a toggle switch parallel with the cycling switch on both of the vans, thus bypassing the cycling switch in high heat/low humidity situations. In the low humidity of west Texas it will not freeze the core up on a regular basis. Thus making my own "Desert Only" mode. Then again low 30s, mid 20s is already cold enough to the finger tips holding the steering wheel.