Ac lines wont vacuum out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bspence997

Reaction score
First off, i dont know how to troubleshoot this stuff and i also dont know the names for 98% of the vehicle.

I have a 98 suburban and I just replaced the hose assembly for my ac lines running from the compressor to the radiator and back to the keg (?). I am currently trying to vacuum out the moisture and I have it hooked up correctly on the pump and the service ports but when I turn on the pump and open the valves it stays at zero on both sides. Low side does not go below zero at all. I'm hoping it's just that the new Schrader valves aren't opening but I also have no idea how to do any of this without youtube.

I have vacuumed down the system before and it did fine. But now when I try to vac it doesn't do anything. I've tried closing the valves to open the Schrader valve and reopening it and I am at a loss.

I can plumb but I can't mechanic. Any help or insight is appreciated and I will try to be as detailed as I can.

Thanks

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is are you screwing the valve on the service port, clockwise to push the Schrader open? Even a pretty big leak will still show a little vacuum on the manifold gauges. Other than that, are you sure vacuum pump to gauges, to service ports are all leak free? Can you hear the vacuum pump dog down when you close the valves, where it just vacuums the hoses?

If all this is in check, it sounds like you have a big time leak somewhere

bspence997

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is are you screwing the valve on the service port, clockwise to push the Schrader open? Even a pretty big leak will still show a little vacuum on the manifold gauges. Other than that, are you sure vacuum pump to gauges, to service ports are all leak free? Can you hear the vacuum pump dog down when you close the valves, where it just vacuums the hoses?

If all this is in check, it sounds like you have a big time leak somewhere
I'm an idiot. Thanks for replying. I got it figured out.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone is an idiot from time to time lol. Glad you figured it out.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you read up on the procedure in the FSM ? Pretty easy step by step. Plus you'll learn the correct way.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I'm an idiot. Thanks for replying. I got it figured out.
Whatever you do, when you get ready to charge it up - don't hook your high side line to the storage point on the back of the manifold and then wonder why your high side is reading zero.

Yeah. Sleep deprivation will make you do the dumbest things.

Richard

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sleep deprivation will make you do the dumbest things.
At Camp Frank Merrill, know that a guy tried to put quarters in an Oak Tree trying to get a Coke out of it. Not sure how it is now, but back in the late 80s, during that phase of training, they only gave you 4 hrs of sleep every 72hrs, and most of the time, not all 4 hours were at once.

someotherguy

Reaction score
At Camp Frank Merrill, know that a guy tried to put quarters in an Oak Tree trying to get a Coke out of it. Not sure how it is now, but back in the late 80s, during that phase of training, they only gave you 4 hrs of sleep every 72hrs, and most of the time, not all 4 hours were at once.
Sounds a little bit like my every day life. Maybe not quite as extreme but fairly ridiculous regardless. One day bleeds into the next and I have to look at the phone to remind myself which one it is.

Ain't nothin' like night shift life when nobody else (besides your co-workers) is on the same schedule, including my wife! When I'm "off" my schedule flips upside-down so I can spend time with her, and when she's asleep, I find myself in the garage trying to get projects done that won't wake her up, so pretty much anything that doesn't require any air or power tools, lol..

Richard

someotherguy

Reaction score
True story, many years ago I was wrapping up a shift and a co-worker called me because an early morning road-rager (or maybe just a really bad driver) had just about ran him off the road. He had spun his car out, no real damage, but was shook up enough from nearly going over the edge of a freeway ramp, he didn't want to drive. He called the cops to report it, and I was on the way to tow him in. Cops took forever to show up so we got ready to leave, but then one arrived just as we were rolling out.

Cop took the opportunity to question my buddy about how legitimate his report was, thought he was making the whole thing up while possibly driving impaired or too tired to drive. Lectured both of us about how night shift work ruins you. He should know because he did it for (X) number of years, blah blah blah.

Net result: minor damage to the car, towed my buddy home, perp never caught, lecture ignored, self-righteous cop satisfied he told us off.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard