A/C Needs Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zulu Kono

Reaction score
The A/C has never worked on either my Tahoe
or my Suburban since I've owned them.
The Tahoe is my daily driver so I'm considering repairing it.
Here we are in the middle of summer and I'm desperate for some
relief, but not $1,100 desperate they quoted me at a shop today.
For $67 they told my the compressor has a leak and needs replaced.
Okay, so if I replace the compressor myself,
what other components should I also be replacing?
Should I buy one of those kits with compressor, condenser,
dryer, etc., or just replace the compressor alone?
Is it wise to buy an aftermarket brand,
or is an AC Delco the only smart move?
Thanks in advance!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had the best luck actually cooling my Express van with a Four Seasons 88947 compressor. Tried the Sanden 4261 that others here always claimed was better than the GM HT6 and it sucked at lower rpm in a dual evaporator system. Correct width parallel condenser if you can find one. The 88947 compressor is also much quieter than the Sanden. The smoothness and lack of a rattle like sound was one of the first things I noticed about it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can hear the Sanden rattling away. Genuine Sanden 4261 shipped to me from Sanden in Wylie, TX as well not a knock-off. It had horrible cooling at idle.

I reused the Sanden in the 1987 G20 van. It still rattles away and struggles with idle cooling even on a single evaporator system.

Last edited:

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a new compressor, condenser, filter dryer, orifice tub, orings came with it and PAG oil, also a flush kit for the unit up under my dash, all from Rock Auto. Also new refrigerant hoses were installed. Around 4 years ago. Did it all myself and on these 90+ days it's still blowing ice cold. May or may not be the best stuff for you but it did work for me and I'm happy, and cool. Haha. I copied and pasted my order below...is that ok?

Warehouse A
Quantity
You must be registered for see images attach
No Vehicle Specified
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C System Flush

FOUR SEASONS 69991 DURA II Flush Solvent; 1 Quart Info

FOUR SEASONS Warranty Information
A/C Compressors: 24 Months/24,000 Miles (Non-Commercial Use), 12 Months/100,000 Miles (Commercial Use); Pre-Packaged A/C Compressor & Component Kits (Part # Ending in NK): Limited Lifetime (Light Duty Vehicles), 36 Months/300,000 Miles (Heavy Duty Vehicles); Fan Clutches, Fan Blades, Blower Motors, Electric Fans, Fan Assemblies, Radiator Fan Motors, Pulley, Idlers, Oil Coolers, Heater Cores: 12 Months/12,000 Miles; All Other Parts: 120 Days.
IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed.
2No longer covered under the manufacturer's warranty
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C System Flush Gun

FOUR SEASONS 59172 32 oz Capacity; w/ Regulator Info

A/C Compressors: 24 Months/24,000 Miles (Non-Commercial Use), 12 Months/100,000 Miles (Commercial Use); Pre-Packaged A/C Compressor & Component Kits (Part # Ending in NK): Limited Lifetime (Light Duty Vehicles), 36 Months/300,000 Miles (Heavy Duty Vehicles); Fan Clutches, Fan Blades, Blower Motors, Electric Fans, Fan Assemblies, Radiator Fan Motors, Pulley, Idlers, Oil Coolers, Heater Cores: 12 Months/12,000 Miles; All Other Parts: 120 Days.
IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed.
1No longer covered under the manufacturer's warranty
1994 CHEVROLET K1500 PICKUP 5.0L V8
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Refrigerant Oil

FOUR SEASONS 59003 (For R-134A System) PAG 150 (R-134a) Oil w/o Dye; 8 oz Info
32.00 Oz. R-134a; 8.00 Oz. PAG-150

Warehouse B
Quantity
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Compressor

GPD 6511351 (New) Upgraded Design; Prefilled w/ OE-Specified Oil Info
6 Groove; May Require 1311339 Comp Manifold Seal Kit; Scroll Replacement For 7511351 R4

GPD Warranty Information
12 months. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed.
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Orifice Tube

GPD 3411249 (Standard Replacement) Info
Black Orifice Tube

GPD Warranty Information
12 months. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed.
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator

GPD 1411357 (Standard Replacement) Info
Pigtail 1711452

GPD Warranty Information
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C System O-Rings / Seals

GPD 1321277 (Complete System - O-Ring & Seal Kit) Info

GPD Warranty Information

Warehouse C
Quantity
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Condenser

GPD 4544C (Additional Corrosion Protection) Info
w/ 15.94" x 27.83" Core

GPD Warranty Information