'99 C2500 Factory Stereo Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozbrick44

Reaction score
I have a low mileage, 65k, '99 C2500 obs with the factory cassette only...

Where's the best place to get this fixed & add Bluetooth & a factory pocket CD player???

Thanks all!!!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Depends what cassette only head you have. If you have the one with the Tape/Aux button, all you need to do for the external CD player is grab one from eBay or a junkyard and shove it in, replacing the cubby below the HVAC controller. Make sure you get the cable with it, it's not attached but plugs into the back of both the external CD player and your head unit. If you have the bare basic deck, then you'll have to replace it. You can get decks on eBay or Etsy that people have retrofitted Bluetooth into as well. If you know you're not going to be using tapes, just get an AM/FM/CD head unit and forget the slave. You can always get a slave tape unit, tho they were found in 99-02 GMT800 trucks and 98-02 S-Series trucks rather than the GMT400s.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If you really want Bluetooth and don't want to go the aftermarket or FM transmitter route...

Anyway, you'll need to pick up a radio that looks like that one, and for the external unit:

People try to charge an arm and a leg for these things on eBay anymore so I'd try to find one in a junkyard and fix it up myself, but that's me lol.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
They charge an arm and a leg for them and what you might get that was called "refurbished" is just a unit they put new buttons on because the old ones were worn out. My "refurbished" unit (for a GMT800) CD changer crapped out in a very short time and the seller's response was they would replace the changer, for a fee.. and the cost was significant. I passed, and hacked in a bluetooth unit myself. Now that I go and look, their account is no longer active, so I suspect bad feedback has caused them to start up under a new name. Buyer beware.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you really want Bluetooth and don't want to go the aftermarket or FM transmitter route...

Anyway, you'll need to pick up a radio that looks like that one, and for the external unit:

People try to charge an arm and a leg for these things on eBay anymore so I'd try to find one in a junkyard and fix it up myself, but that's me lol.
Yup I've picked up a few from the wrecking yards myself. And a few cables... didn't realize I needed the cable too cause I had only swapped head and disc units out where they had already been. Crew cab wasn't ordered with a CD player so I have the cubby. I haven't pulled the cluster trim off, so who knows, the cable might be there? Depends on how the wiring harness was assembled.