'98 Vortec into a '88 K2500, retaining the TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
A small update- The motor/trans went back in last Sunday, the t-case went back in yesterday and tonight I cleaned/repaired wire harness looms and started feeding the harness back into position. I found that the t-case shift indicator got busted, so a new one is coming from Rockauto. It's not hateful to reach from underneath but it would have been better if I hadn't broken it when I wrestled the t-case back into place.

full

All of the mounts secured on the engine and trans.

full

starting to pull the harnesses into place. I didn't take enough pics when I took it apart, so there's a bunch of seeing where the harness wants to naturally lay and seeing what can plug in from that position.

full

I tried the TBI t-stat housing, I think that it will fit ok and clear everything. One thing that I noticed tonight is that water temp sensor that is next to the t-stat housing on the TBI doesn't have a place on the GMPP intake. There's a threaded hole for a return nipple from the heater core that I could use reducer bushing in, I'm not crazy about that idea. Maybe there's a sensor that uses the larger pipe thread on the base that will fit the threaded port in the intake without using a bushing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reducer bushing is no problem. The sensor is in direct contact with the coolant, so the bushing doesn't interfere with temp reading.

Done properly, (use anaerobic thread sealer 592 or similar, not thread tape) there'd be no significant issue with the grounding of the sensor. Which, in this case, is moot since the sensor ground is through the wire harness not the sensor body.

Reaction score
Not a lot got done tonight, I mainly started getting the hydro clutch maneuvered into place. I grabbed the OE one from the parts truck. Its a different design then the one for the SM465. Those parts were all brand new so I saved them incase I would need to use them down the road. A few AN fittings and some -3 hose and they could work again. The original parts from the NV4500 donor truck, they have allen head screws instead of bleeder screws.

Reaction score
No pics from tonight, I was bleeding the hydro clutch. I had some air trapped at the master cylinder and I didn't see a bleeder screw anywhere so I took a small plastic syringe body ( no needle, just the main body) drew in some clean brake fluid, placed the tip of the body over the port in the reservoir that feeds the master cylinder, pushed in some fluid then drew back on the plunger. I got lots of air out so I did that a few times and got a solid clutch pedal.