98 K1500 crazy transmission slips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 98 k 1500 which is the four-wheel drive Chevy single cab short wheel base the other day I was pulling a trailer and transmission got up to 200° and it started acting up like slipping but if I turn the key off like turn the truck off and then start it back up it would drive fine for I don't know 20 30 seconds and then it would start making a weird noise like it was gurgling and missing and start slipping I can put it in neutral turn it off turn it back on put it in drive and it would drive for 15-20 seconds and it would start slipping again and making that sound had to turn off and restart the engine probably 50 or 60 times to get home it has to be something electronic I figure because I can turn the truck off and restart it and it works but it will go in all four gears but whatever's tripping out or whatever is doing something which is causing it to slip like that I don't know please help guys thanks so much

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 98 k 1500 which is the four-wheel drive Chevy single cab short wheel base...
Check fluid level when at normal op temp.

Smell the fluid.

If it smells burnt, drop the pan and observe the bottom. If you see lots of burnt clutch material, metal, etc put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Otherwise, let us know if it wont upshift from first, defualts to third gear or exhibits no movement at all during these episodes...

Reaction score
So thinking and also if you take off mash on it it shifts out of first pretty good into second then if you let off the gas it will go straight to fourth instead of 3rd then forth if you keep your foot in it it will get third and then forth but if you let up the pressure it skips third

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So thinking and also if you take off mash on it it shifts out of first pretty good into second then if you let off the gas it will go straight to fourth instead of 3rd then forth if you keep your foot in it it will get third and then forth but if you let up the pressure it skips third
Put a scan tool, take for a test drive and monitor the gear changes as showing on the scan tool. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark (with no NODs on).

Off the top of my head, I don't know how you can go right from 2nd to 4th gear as the 3-4 clutch pack has to be applied for you to get to fourth other than maybe Sol A firing prematurely which could be a PCM issue, if so.

Let us know what happens when you take it for a test drive with your scan tool.