95 suburban c2500 7.4 13x3.5 new drum center .010-.012 larger than hub causes run out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superchevysb

Reaction score
1995 Chevy suburban c2500 7.4 14 bolt 10.5ff

I have recently decided to replace the rear brake shoes and drums to further improve the rear braking. I went with the AC Delco Durestop brake shoes and AC Delco spring kit. The spring kit was disappointing as the springs were made with steel that made them way to hard to extend and the hook end were very shallow large radius to the point that with all the excess tension they would almost pull them selfs off, slip off. I cleaned the original spring and used them they worked great.
The brake shoes seemed to be made well and are FF confident of friction rated, hopefully that is enough to improve braking. I could not find a higher rate shoe.
The drums were purchased from Napa and the machining was great with one problem, the center hole was .010 and .012 larger than the hub. I initially thought they were machined wrong and center was not centered. Soon to discover the over size center was cause the extreme drag in one are of rotation. I put the tight spot to the bottom loosened and red tighten wheel to find the tight spot now opposite. Then I measure with feeler gauge to find the center was larger. I but 4 paices of .005 shim stock for one side and .006 for the other and evenly spaced them and held them on with rubber bands and electric tape. Slid drum on and it was snug and correct. I spun the wheel and watched through Inspection hole to see a nice even gap/no run out as it rotated. Adjusted brakes and push pedal several times when adjusting to keep center the shoes to get the best adjustment possible. Rotating the wheel it now has even drag the entire rotation. With run out it will cause the wheel cylinders to collapse as that tight spot comes around and make more pedal travel as wheel as cause a shake when braking. Seems to have worked out well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Such is the struggle to get decent parts nowadays. Brake drums seem particularly afflicted. Are they out of round/balance too?