93 K1500 Blazer Shift Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patkelty2

Reaction score
Looking for help.
My 93, 5.7 blazer is stuck in park, column shifter moves, but does not go into gear wherever I put it. Almost as if it’s not finding the gears or just not actually going anywhere. Truck is just stuck in park. Need help figuring out where to start.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They dont use cable shifters, not till 95. there is actual linkage under the driver seat. Just need to crawl under n see what's going on....

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Correct, up through 1994, it's a mechanical linkage where a rod is attached to the selector lever on the column, just on the engine side of the firewall, locked in place with a slip collar and lock bolt. That runs down to the frame where there's a plastic bushing backed with a spring, pokes into a hole in the frame, and levers off of that to another rod which runs to the transmission where it's attached with a small clevis pin.

Somewhere, something's popped off. Unless someone has been under there messing with it, or it has been assembled improperly in the past, my guess would be the bushing may have popped out of the frame.

A peek at the factory service manual might be helpful to understand the mechanism. Look in the Engines section at the top of the list and you'll find free downloads of the service manuals, listed by year.

Richard

patkelty2

Reaction score
You gentleman are correct. The shift linkage bushing seems to have worn away where it connects to the rod by the frame.

Now just need to find the right bushing.

Attachments

• EB2B8AF2-17B6-4D2A-9C67-B954D84BB85F.png
    EB2B8AF2-17B6-4D2A-9C67-B954D84BB85F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 8064A862-9110-4B42-B1A7-4316942DEF8E.png
    8064A862-9110-4B42-B1A7-4316942DEF8E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

someotherguy

Reaction score
Just deleted the reply I was working on, after looking closer at your pictures. It appears the shaft has popped out of the rubber bushing in that arm? I was thinking it may have popped out from the frame where there's a plastic (or probably nylon/delrin/etc.) bushing.

That rubber bushing in the arm is available from Dorman pretty cheap, if it's worn. Dorman # 02373, shifter link bushing, a buck and some change.

The plastic bushing where it goes into the frame is a little harder to source, but it's available on ebay, amazon, and likely elsewhere. It looks like yours is there but the spring is broken. Shop around but try the part # 1377083 and see what you find on those various sites. There's several slightly different kits and prices range from $11 to $35.. note it comes with that bushing, spring, etc. This linkage is a design that was used on many different GM models for many years.

Hope that helps. I may not be looking at your pictures correctly and that linkage is a bit tricky at first, as well as it's been years since I've messed with one. My current GMT400 is a manual transmission so I can't go out and use it as an example.

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't there supposed to be a cotter pin that holds that side on? My bearings may be out of whack and not seeing it right...

someotherguy

Reaction score
Isn't there supposed to be a cotter pin that holds that side on? My bearings may be out of whack and not seeing it right...
It's like a baby clevis pin, and it's included in a kit with the spring to the frame bushing, depending on which seller/kit you get, by looking up the part # I posted. Well I guess technically the pin is the "hairpin" portion of a clevis pin setup. You could use a small cotter pin, too.

Here's an example:
www.amazon.com/Transmission-Shifter-Steering-Accessories-10236109/dp/B09ZYB6JWZ

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine is set up like this one.... the clevis/small cotter pin holds it in the linkage. The only press fit bushings my 93 has are at transfer case to transmission... guess I'm confused
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Reaction score
mine is set up like this one.... the clevis/small cotter pin holds it in the linkage. The only press fit bushings my 93 has are at transfer case to transmission... guess I'm confused
You must be registered for see images attach
You have the same setup OP has. Is that picture yours or just grabbed off the net? What you can't see in that pic due to the angle is where the part in the right hand pokes into a hole in the frame with a plastic bushing, with a spring between the bushing and the arm.

You are correct that OP is probably just missing the hair pin (and again a small cotter pin will work, too) that goes through a small hole in the rod that is loose. Should also have a flat washer between the bushing and pin to prevent it wearing into the bushing.

Richard