88-91 Cluster Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my '89 C1500 and my '88 C3500 have the solid with red stripe moonies. The two spare gauge clusters I have are also the same. The red stripes are almost faded away on a couple of them.
That white and red paint is translucent, as the light comes through from behind the gauge to illuminate it, over time it breaks down and by now it's like powder. If you touch it, it will just brush off making it difficult to touch up.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That white and red paint is translucent, as the light comes through from behind the gauge to illuminate it, over time it breaks down and by now it's like powder. If you touch it, it will just brush off making it difficult to touch up.
I was thinking about finding some model plane paint(testers) to see if i could touch mine up. Anybody have any exp w this?

Ccato

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the hash mark design was only in the first few months of production in 1988. They were supposed to look like the LED bar gauges in the cars at the time, but customers complained that they didn't like them so they changed to what we have now. Would make them a rarity if you could find them now.
That would be very interesting. I'm adding that to my research list. Thanks!

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add more ideas into the hat, when I redone my gauges I wanted the look of needle gauges without the hassle of rewiring so I came up with a compromise.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add more ideas into the hat, when I redone my gauges I wanted the look of needle gauges without the hassle of rewiring so I came up with a compromise.
I like that way better than the original configuration.

murphy455

Reaction score
Is there a resource for how to rebuild the dash cluster? 1991 K1500, I’m aware that this cluster is a one off (I believe this has to do with an additional wire). I want to do a full detail AND odometer set to 0. I have a new engine going in and want to start fresh.

Specmo handles most of the cluster repair for classics, but our trucks are not quite in their catalogue yet. One person told me to send it in and pay about $350, another told me they don’t rebuild these at all.

I prefer the moon gauges, especially with the hash marks, so that would be my goal for the cluster. Digital isn’t my flavor, but open to it because of the improved accuracy. What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit: are the hash mark clusters for a certain year or option? This is not my cluster, but a screenshot of one I’m referencing.
88-89