88-91 Cluster Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ccato

Reaction score
Is there a resource for how to rebuild the dash cluster? 1991 K1500, I’m aware that this cluster is a one off (I believe this has to do with an additional wire). I want to do a full detail AND odometer set to 0. I have a new engine going in and want to start fresh.

Specmo handles most of the cluster repair for classics, but our trucks are not quite in their catalogue yet. One person told me to send it in and pay about $350, another told me they don’t rebuild these at all.

I prefer the moon gauges, especially with the hash marks, so that would be my goal for the cluster. Digital isn’t my flavor, but open to it because of the improved accuracy. What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit: are the hash mark clusters for a certain year or option? This is not my cluster, but a screenshot of one I’m referencing.

Attachments

• IMG_7152.png
    IMG_7152.png
    525.5 KB · Views: 38

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You're already familiar with SpecMo, that's the ticket. I had them rebuild the needle cluster I put in my old '88. If they can handle that, I'm sure they could handle the mooner.

Hash marks are later years, I believe. My '88 and '89 trucks didn't have 'em.

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
Identical to my ‘91 that’s state side. Only numbers and increments are different from yours, obviously.

My ‘89 is a non hasher as well.

Ccato

Reaction score
My 91 is lacking the marks. I would like to find a part number to the cluster with the hash marks. If going Specmo I need to supply that number. Hopefully someone here has the scoop!

Ccato

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
These are the Moonies in my 91, no hash marks like the above pic.
But it's a Canadian truck, maybe a different set than the States.
Drunkcanuk I enjoyed flipping through your build post. I’ll have to take some more time reading about it.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the hash mark design was only in the first few months of production in 1988. They were supposed to look like the LED bar gauges in the cars at the time, but customers complained that they didn't like them so they changed to what we have now. Would make them a rarity if you could find them now.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the hash mark design was only in the first few months of production in 1988. They were supposed to look like the LED bar gauges in the cars at the time, but customers complained that they didn't like them so they changed to what we have now. Would make them a rarity if you could find them now.
That makes sense. The one in the OP's post is hard to read for me.