6.5 diesel no fuel to the injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmelt94

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a 97 k3500 with a 6.5 in it. I took a 2.5 hour trip to Indian and back on Saturday without a single hiccup. Parked it Saturday night and when I went to start it Sunday morning all it did was crank and not fire.

1. First thing I checked was the PMD (only 2 months old) and swapped it with a used but tested good by quadstar tuning that I just got from them 2 weeks ago. No change
2. so I checked the lift pump to make sure it was pumping fuel and it's good using the t handle water drain.
3. Next I opened the injector lines and cranked it over to check for fuel there and I'm not getting anything coming out.
4. I unplugged the optical sensor and cranked it and still no change.

5. No check engine light and no codes

Is there anything else that I should be checking? I find it hard to believe that the injector pump is bad since it was running great Saturday with no issues and Sunday it's got nothing.

The truck is a super clean rust free southern truck off an airforce base a few years ago with only 108xxx miles.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight or advice.

Attachments

• 17241162474903748317029466568413.jpg
    17241162474903748317029466568413.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 1

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check and make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid is working. It will be the silver tin can looking thing on top of the injection pump. When you turn the key on it should click. You can unscrew it from the pump and have someone turn the key and see if it pulls in. If it does its working. If it doesn't the the coil is bad or your not getting power to it. I've been told you can take it off, gut it and put it back on and have no problems. I've never been successful in removing it, gutting it and then be able to reinstall it. I've been told the solenoid is a redundant part that is not absolutely necessary. I still believe that it should be there.

Bmelt94

Reaction score
Check and make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid is working. It will be the silver tin can looking thing on top of the injection pump. When you turn the key on it should click. You can unscrew it from the pump and have someone turn the key and see if it pulls in. If it does its working. If it doesn't the the coil is bad or your not getting power to it. I've been told you can take it off, gut it and put it back on and have no problems. I've never been successful in removing it, gutting it and then be able to reinstall it. I've been told the solenoid is a redundant part that is not absolutely necessary. I still believe that it should be there.
I did just replace the shutoff solenoid but forgot to put it in the thread and can hear it clicking when the key is turned on

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing is your pmd remote mounted? If so try just removing the extension harness and plug it in to the factory place. If it starts and runs then you have a bad harness.

Bmelt94

Reaction score
Another thing is your pmd remote mounted? If so try just removing the extension harness and plug it in to the factory place. If it starts and runs then you have a bad harness.
I'll check the fuel filter tomorrow and am also going to pickup a multimeter to check the pmd plug. It is remote mounted on the side of the intake with a heat sink. I don't believe there is an extension harness for when it's mounted there but going to verify tomorrow as I've heard alot of the extension harnesses are junk

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah there's a lot of china ones. If I where you I would get it out of the engine compartment completely. The go to place is behind the front license plate. Quadstar sells a decent extension, Leroy diesel has one. I think he makes the one for quadstar. Badger diesel also has a good one. I have one from badger on my 95 and have 35-40k on it with no hiccups. I did do a quick search on another fourm and one person had the same issue as you and his problem ended up being a broken wire on the back of the Injection pump under the intake. Another thing check and make sure your grounds are nice and clean. You will have one on the passenger side toward the rear of the intake. Those seem to be the biggest problem area.