5LM60 Knocking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try it...at this point, you really dont have anything to lose as it will likely be coming out soon so if you can get a few thou more from it to allow you to plan for an overhaul or replacement, it's worth it, assuming its compatible with the T2850 Syncromesh fluid that unit takes.
Yeah I think Ill send it and throw some in there.

Does the 2 halves of the case need to be separated to replace the input bearing?

I'd like to just replace the input bearing if possible, even if I have to split the 2 halves of the case. Other than the noise in neutral at idle the transmission shifts and performs just fine.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think Ill send it and throw some in there.

Does the 2 halves of the case need to be separated to replace the input bearing?

I'd like to just replace the input bearing if possible, even if I have to split the 2 halves of the case. Other than the noise in neutral at idle the transmission shifts and performs just fine.
Good question. See if you can find an online pdf version of the manual for those transmissions. Some require you to split the case, a few dont. This one, Im not sure...If you do and you're not comfortable with doing it on that unit, buy a good used one then work on yours at your leisure...

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good question. See if you can find an online pdf version of the manual for those transmissions. Some require you to split the case, a few dont. This one, Im not sure...If you do and you're not comfortable with doing it on that unit, buy a good used one then work on yours at your leisure...
Yeah seems like the 2 halves do have to be separated.

Honestly seems like something I could do theoretically. I just have to remove the retaining hardware at the front of the case for the input bearing, remove the bolts holding the halves together, and remove the detent plugs with the balls and springs.

Then that should separate the halves and I can just replace the input bearing right at the front half of the case and put it back together.

Can probably have it all done in a weekend.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah seems like the 2 halves do have to be separated.

Honestly seems like something I could do theoretically. I just have to remove the retaining hardware at the front of the case for the input bearing, remove the bolts holding the halves together, and remove the detent plugs with the balls and springs.

Then that should separate the halves and I can just replace the input bearing right at the front half of the case and put it back together.

Check for an input pre-load spec for new bearings. Most manuals require somewhere between .002-.008 or in that general range.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check for an input pre-load spec for new bearings. Most manuals require somewhere between .002-.008 or in that general range.
Yeah that probably should be checked. Would let me know if the rest of the trans is on its way out.

I can say, before I installed the transmission the input shaft did have a tiny bit of play in it. So its not really a new problem lol, I just didn’t think it was bad enough to worry about before installing it. Boy was I wrong!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that probably should be checked. Would let me know if the rest of the trans is on its way out.

I can say, before I installed the transmission the input shaft did have a tiny bit of play in it. So its not really a new problem lol, I just didn’t think it was bad enough to worry about before installing it. Boy was I wrong!
Yep. Unlike automatics, which must have some end play, manuals need preload.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Unlike automatics, which must have some end play, manuals need preload.
Hopefully it’ll last a few more months, going to throw the Lucas in it and see if it quiets down any. It’s lasted this long I think it’ll be okay for the time being.

Still have an active back injury so pulling the trans right now isn’t an option.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think those are sealed ball bearings or at least they appear to be in the overhaul kits I've seen so any additives you put in the tranny case is not going to get into the bearing itself.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Tread carefully - and I'd check the unit repair manual for the year that particular flavor of light 5 speed would be used (like what year the donor truck was) for more info. While it sounds like the input bearing should be easy to replace, I've heard those transmissions can be a real pain to work on. Hopefully it's just exaggerated claims, and of course these days there's a lot more forum info and also youtube videos about them.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tread carefully - and I'd check the unit repair manual for the year that particular flavor of light 5 speed would be used (like what year the donor truck was) for more info. While it sounds like the input bearing should be easy to replace, I've heard those transmissions can be a real pain to work on. Hopefully it's just exaggerated claims, and of course these days there's a lot more forum info and also youtube videos about them.

Richard
The FSM shows a jig that has to be used to hold the reverse idler in place while you're sliding the rear half of the case down over the whole mainshaft,countershaft and reverse idler assembly. There is also a rear mainshaft bearing retainer plate the you have to line up with the holes coming in through rear case half. There are also special tools needed to pull the shift rail detent plug out of the front case half and a puller to remove the counershaft bearing races. I'm going to be rebuilding on of these things in the near future so I'll take plenty of pics and write up an overhaul thread for these beasties.