5LM60 Knocking Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after seeing this maybe I just ride it till it dies lol, these transmissions aren’t expensive. I don’t have any experience rebuilding transmissions or anything.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after seeing this maybe I just ride it till it dies lol, these transmissions aren’t expensive. I don’t have any experience rebuilding transmissions or anything.
That's prob your best bet. I rarely do manual trabsmissions because it's usually more cost effective for the customer to find a good used unit. They are usually not the gamble that autos like the 4L60E...

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's prob your best bet. I rarely do manual trabsmissions because it's usually more cost effective for the customer to find a good used unit. They are usually not the gamble that autos like the 4L60E...
Agreed on the gambling for a 4l60e lol. When I first got the truck the 4L60E in it had no 2nd and slipped 3rd bad, so I put a $300 140k mile unit in it.

It rode okay for a couple months but then 2nd was slow to shift and it slipped 3rd. Fluid was almost black and the pan was filled full of clutch pack sludge lol.

That’s when I decided to manual swap to a 5LM60, and the trans was only like $200.

I don’t want to swap to an NV4500, sure it be more reliable with my 4 inch lift and 315s but the gearing in the 5LM60 is literally perfect for my truck.

Only thing I’ll do is swap to an NV3500, only has one shift rail as opposed to the 4 in a 5LM60, supposedly makes the 3500 more reliable.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 262 powered S-10 tranny's are close ratio with a taller first and second and the C/K tranny's are wide ratio. The tranny I have came out of an '98 S-10 with the internal slave.