5 speed manual rebuild kit recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LGLP Trucks

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum. Just bought my first GMT400 truck last month. It's a '92 GMC Sierra 2wd. Transmission doesn't wanna go into (or stay in) 4th gear. Makes a lot of noise when cruising, but all sounds go away if it is put in 4th. Looking for recommendations on a complete rebuild kit. Will also be buying a new clutch.

Thanks

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whining in every gear but direct drive is counter shaft bearings. Which tranny do you have? I guessing NV3500 for a 2WD. Those are not easy to rebuild, requires a jig to hold the main, counter shaft and reverse idler in place while setting the rear half of the case down over the assembly.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked the trans fluid level? Wouldn't hurt to change fluid with proper type according to handbook or service manual.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What @Scooterwrench said.

In most 5-speed transmissions, 4th gear is direct drive, meaning that the countershaft is uncoupled and the input shaft couples straight to the output shaft. The countershaft bearings are unloaded so they quiet down.

I looked at the US Standard kits on Rockauto, and it looks like they don't have bearings or synchros. That's a fail. Whatever kit you get, you want good bearings.

For a non-race application, I'd go with a Luk, Exedy, Sachs, or GM Genuine clutch kit. They've all been around for a while. They might be made in China, but it (probably) won't be bottom-feeder crap.

LGLP Trucks

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I'm not sure which transmission I have atm. Looks like everything that was offered is a variation if not a NV3500. Will have to do more research

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these guys while looking for overhaul kits for my '98 tranny.
The listing doesn't say whether or not it has American bearings. With all the issues I've had in the past few years with chinese bearings I'd contact them to find out.

LGLP Trucks

Reaction score
I'm gonna take her apart before I buy a kit. Want to make sure it's repairable before I spend the money on a kit. Pulled the drain plug tonight and the fluid was very metallic. Even a few small chunks were found. Scooterwrench, a few people I know recommended just buying whatever kit's out there and to source bearings elsewhere (i.e Timken). We'll see what happens. May just end up buying a whole different tranny depending on what it looks like inside.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take her apart before I buy a kit. Want to make sure it's repairable before I spend the money on a kit. Pulled the drain plug tonight and the fluid was very metallic. Even a few small chunks were found. Scooterwrench, a few people I know recommended just buying whatever kit's out there and to source bearings elsewhere (i.e Timken). We'll see what happens. May just end up buying a whole different tranny depending on what it looks like inside.
Yeah, that's a good idea.
I think there are some kits on evilbay that specify they include American bearings. Timken got bought out by SKF but the quality is still good and still made right here.

Just no good deals to be had on ebay anymore. Those sellers buy the same parts you can find on other sites then mark them up.