4L80 whine and missing 4th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian71583

Reaction score
1996 454 4L80 Crew Dually

I've been working through some issues since I got this thing a year ago and have been making good progress but there is a nagging intermittent issue and also a new issue that I feel might just be related but don't know how to approach in diagnosing or confirming anything with it.

Background: Trans is a rebuild with maybe 2,000 miles on it. A friend who knows Transmissions inside/out and rebuilds them as pretty much a full time side job did it. Truck was bought and has great bones but whoever owned it prior was def not a mechanic or had severely debilitating attention deficits. Lots of repairs done but parts were all from a similar vehicle but not perfect (like wrong year, or options) Most repairs were put back together and either NOT tightened or POORLY tightened.

Nagging issue:

Transmission would seem to not have one of its upper gears. Not really sure if it was 4th, OD, Lockup or what exactly but it would not have its upper range. It would tach 3,000 just to hit 60mph. Any grade in the road or mph over 60 would climb the rpm's. This was intermittent. Half (Or more) trips would be perfectly fine and tach 2,700-2,800 doing 65-70mph. I had originally thought bad knock sensor wiring I had was disabling lockup.

I recently replaced both knock sensors and the whole wiring circuit and took it out for a ride and now have a clearer picture that there's a problem with the transmission or wiring but the picture is still very cloudy.

New Issue:

I took the truck out for its test ride after the knock repairs and it ran great around town. Smooth and best MPG its ever gotten. Had minimal knock count on the scanner which I attribute to a small exhaust leak it has. I took it for a quick loop on the highway and quickly realized that the missing top end of the transmission range was present again. I was on a highway so I had to continue but didn't want to abuse the truck so I kept it in the 55-60mph range but that still sustained 3,000 rpms for about 4 or 5 miles until I could exit. At the exit I pulled into a parking lot to take some scanner readings.

Upon leaving my parking spot I had a loud sound that sound like a dry power steering pump but from either midship or possibly the rear. Def. was not the steering. I left the lot, pulled back onto the highway I had to take home and still heard this noise so on the ramp I pulled off and tried to check more (scanner and physically) but could not find anything. So I continued to home. Noise was consistent and related to speed/load and NOT engine rpm. Noise seems to be there but quiet off the line but really overpowers engine/road noise once you break the 30mph range. It is worse and louder on deceleration. Once it starts it varies in intensity with speed/load but it is constant when in motion.

That was Friday night. Sunday I took it for another ride for 3 stops I needed to make around town. First two stops where uneventful running great. leaving 3rd stop the noise was present again. This whole round trip was maybe 10 miles max. No extended highway speeds were achieved on this trip but short sections hit highway speed and I do not believe the transmission had its upper range again.

The noise sounds exactly like a dry power steering pump. Even down to the binding like resonation/hum/vibration

I had read some about solenoids and the wiring and such. I know some of the wiring to the round plug on the trans is very sloppy but all looks to be in tact.

In the prior nagging version of the story I think I remember the noise once over the past year but it was once so I never attributed it to the transmission problem. I assumed it was the P/S and it never happened again. But when nagging I would have the problem of missing whatever top gear it wasn't getting pretty often. After fixing a few various issues around the truck it seemed to go away for quite a while so I thought something had fixed it.

This return (and much more frequent/repeatable) has happened since fixing the knock sensors which have wiring in close proximity to the transmission harness, combine that with me already saying how sloppy it is and I would like to think its an electrical issue but I have ZERO clue what to test or how so I am hoping there's some 4L80e guru around here that could give me some insight or direct me what to test.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1996 454 4L80 Crew Dually

I've been working through some issues since I got this thing a year ago and have been making good progress but there is a nagging intermittent issue and also a new issue that I feel might just be related but don't know how to approach in diagnosing or confirming anything with it.

Background: Trans is a rebuild with maybe 2,000 miles on it. A friend who knows Transmissions inside/out and rebuilds them as pretty much a full time side job did it. Truck was bought and has great bones but whoever owned it prior was def not a mechanic or had severely debilitating attention deficits. Lots of repairs done but parts were all from a similar vehicle but not perfect (like wrong year, or options) Most repairs were put back together and either NOT tightened or POORLY tightened.

Nagging issue:

Transmission would seem to not have one of its upper gears. Not really sure if it was 4th, OD, Lockup or what exactly but it would not have its upper range. It would tach 3,000 just to hit 60mph. Any grade in the road or mph over 60 would climb the rpm's. This was intermittent. Half (Or more) trips would be perfectly fine and tach 2,700-2,800 doing 65-70mph. I had originally thought bad knock sensor wiring I had was disabling lockup.

I recently replaced both knock sensors and the whole wiring circuit and took it out for a ride and now have a clearer picture that there's a problem with the transmission or wiring but the picture is still very cloudy.

New Issue:

I took the truck out for its test ride after the knock repairs and it ran great around town. Smooth and best MPG its ever gotten. Had minimal knock count on the scanner which I attribute to a small exhaust leak it has. I took it for a quick loop on the highway and quickly realized that the missing top end of the transmission range was present again. I was on a highway so I had to continue but didn't want to abuse the truck so I kept it in the 55-60mph range but that still sustained 3,000 rpms for about 4 or 5 miles until I could exit. At the exit I pulled into a parking lot to take some scanner readings.

Upon leaving my parking spot I had a loud sound that sound like a dry power steering pump but from either midship or possibly the rear. Def. was not the steering. I left the lot, pulled back onto the highway I had to take home and still heard this noise so on the ramp I pulled off and tried to check more (scanner and physically) but could not find anything. So I continued to home. Noise was consistent and related to speed/load and NOT engine rpm. Noise seems to be there but quiet off the line but really overpowers engine/road noise once you break the 30mph range. It is worse and louder on deceleration. Once it starts it varies in intensity with speed/load but it is constant when in motion.

That was Friday night. Sunday I took it for another ride for 3 stops I needed to make around town. First two stops where uneventful running great. leaving 3rd stop the noise was present again. This whole round trip was maybe 10 miles max. No extended highway speeds were achieved on this trip but short sections hit highway speed and I do not believe the transmission had its upper range again.

The noise sounds exactly like a dry power steering pump. Even down to the binding like resonation/hum/vibration

I had read some about solenoids and the wiring and such. I know some of the wiring to the round plug on the trans is very sloppy but all looks to be in tact.

In the prior nagging version of the story I think I remember the noise once over the past year but it was once so I never attributed it to the transmission problem. I assumed it was the P/S and it never happened again. But when nagging I would have the problem of missing whatever top gear it wasn't getting pretty often. After fixing a few various issues around the truck it seemed to go away for quite a while so I thought something had fixed it.

This return (and much more frequent/repeatable) has happened since fixing the knock sensors which have wiring in close proximity to the transmission harness, combine that with me already saying how sloppy it is and I would like to think its an electrical issue but I have ZERO clue what to test or how so I am hoping there's some 4L80e guru around here that could give me some insight or direct me what to test.
I'm familiar with 4L80Es (check my 4L80E Info thread, if you haven't already) but I am curious about a couple things:

1. Have you spoken to the transmission builder about this issue and, if so, what did he say (with only 2k miles, as long as it was rebuilt in the past year you should still have a warranty - assumes you have the industry standard 12-month parts and labor warranty)

2. Do you have a bi-directional scan tool at your disposal?

Also: Transmission would seem to not have one of its upper gears. Not really sure if it was 4th, OD, Lockup or what exactly but it would not have its upper range. It would tach 3,000 just to hit 60mph. Any grade in the road or mph over 60 would climb the rpm's. This was intermittent. Half (Or more) trips would be perfectly fine and tach 2,700-2,800 doing 65-70mph. I had originally thought bad knock sensor wiring I had was disabling lockup.

4th Gear is OD (Overdrive); sounds like you're stuck in 3rd due to the OD clutch pack being wiped or the PCM not commanding an upshift - that's where the bidirectional scan tool will help you determine which one of those two conditions applies to your unit.

Brian71583

Reaction score
I'm familiar with 4L80Es (check my 4L80E Info thread, if you haven't already) but I am curious about a couple things:

1. Have you spoken to the transmission builder about this issue and, if so, what did he say (with only 2k miles, as long as it was rebuilt in the past year you should still have a warranty - assumes you have the industry standard 12-month parts and labor warranty)

2. Do you have a bi-directional scan tool at your disposal?

Also: Transmission would seem to not have one of its upper gears. Not really sure if it was 4th, OD, Lockup or what exactly but it would not have its upper range. It would tach 3,000 just to hit 60mph. Any grade in the road or mph over 60 would climb the rpm's. This was intermittent. Half (Or more) trips would be perfectly fine and tach 2,700-2,800 doing 65-70mph. I had originally thought bad knock sensor wiring I had was disabling lockup.

4th Gear is OD (Overdrive); sounds like you're stuck in 3rd due to the OD clutch pack being wiped or the PCM not commanding an upshift - that's where the bidirectional scan tool will help you determine which one of those two conditions applies to your unit.
I have read through much of your post. Very informative.

Before this past weekend I had spoken with the builder about it not having 4th but for most of that I had wrongly been saying I didn’t have lockup. So most of that brainstorm was misguided. But that did lead me to finding how messed up my knock circuit was. With that said he is well respected in the region but it is a side job and being a friend I got a good deal so really a warranty wasn’t ever really discussed but I’m sure he’d help me out if an internal failure was confirmed.

I do have a bi-direction scanner (OBDLink-Mx+). I recently picked this up so I’m still learning what apps get me to most information.

You think a clutch pack could be smoked if it were so intermittent? I’d think that would be more consistent. That’s why I brought up having just worked on the knock circuit and now it was more consistent. Prior to disturbing the harnesses in that area I had gone 3 or 4 months (not a daily driver) with no occurrences.

My understanding of the circuit to engage 4th is both the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids engage to engage 4th?

That confuses me though because if 1-2 works and 2-3 works then I don’t see how 3-4 wouldn’t (on an electrical level) unless it wasn’t be commanded for some reason.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read through much of your post. Very informative.

Before this past weekend I had spoken with the builder about it not having 4th but for most of that I had wrongly been saying I didn’t have lockup. So most of that brainstorm was misguided. But that did lead me to finding how messed up my knock circuit was. With that said he is well respected in the region but it is a side job and being a friend I got a good deal so really a warranty wasn’t ever really discussed but I’m sure he’d help me out if an internal failure was confirmed.

I do have a bi-direction scanner (OBDLink-Mx+). I recently picked this up so I’m still learning what apps get me to most information.

You think a clutch pack could be smoked if it were so intermittent? I’d think that would be more consistent. That’s why I brought up having just worked on the knock circuit and now it was more consistent. Prior to disturbing the harnesses in that area I had gone 3 or 4 months (not a daily driver) with no occurrences.

My understanding of the circuit to engage 4th is both the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids engage to engage 4th?

That confuses me though because if 1-2 works and 2-3 works then I don’t see how 3-4 wouldn’t (on an electrical level) unless it wasn’t be commanded for some reason.
Take it for a test drive with the scan tool to confirm/deny whether or not 4th gear is being commanded....Once you do, reply back with the results...No sense in speculating about anything until then as there could be a myriad of issues...

In the meantime, you can ask your builder these questions to help figure it out:

1. Did he vacuum test the valve body and pump stator support to ascertain the health of the valve trains?
If so, what were the results?

2. Did he install an updated TCC regulator valve in the valve body and boost valve in the pump?

3. Did he perform a case air check when the transmission was fully assembled but valve body assembly not yet installed?

4. Did he replace the wiring harness and all electrical/electronic components (solenoids, speed sensors, MLPS, PWM solenoid, pressure switch manifold assy, EPC)?

Here's how to do valve body and pump vac testing on a 4L80E:

Valve Body (shows installation of Sonnax Zip kit components and vac testing)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pump

I am like your builder in that I do this on the side (for now - it will be full-time starting next month) and work off my property. So, assuming he's as versed (if not more so than I am) with the 4L80Es, I'm sure he cared for all the various aspects that go into a proper overhaul...That said, **** happens and parts can betray even the best builders so let him know what's happening and, like you said, I'm sure he will make it right if it's an internal transmission issue(s) causing your symptoms.

Brian71583

Reaction score
Take it for a test drive with the scan tool to confirm/deny whether or not 4th gear is being commanded....Once you do, reply back with the results...No sense in speculating about anything until then as there could be a myriad of issues...

In the meantime, you can ask your builder these questions to help figure it out:

1. Did he vacuum test the valve body and pump stator support to ascertain the health of the valve trains?

2. Did he install an updated TCC regulator valve in the valve body and boost valve in the pump?

3. Did he perform a case air check when the transmission was fully assembled but valve body assembly not yet installed?

4. Did he replace the wiring harness and all electrical/electronic components (solenoids, speed sensors, MLPS, PWM solenoid, pressure switch manifold assy, EPC)?

Here's how to do valve body and pump vac testing on a 4L80E:

Valve Body (shows installation of Sonnax Zip kit components and vac testing)

Pump

I am like your builder in that I do this on the side (for now - it will be full-time starting next month) and work off my property. So, assuming he's as versed (if not more so than I am) with the 4L80Es, I'm sure he cared for all the various aspects that go into a proper overhaul...That said, **** happens and parts can betray even the best builders so let him know what's happening and, like you said, I'm sure he will make it right if it's an internal transmission issue(s) causing your symptoms.
I haven't had a chance to talk to my builder yet. It may be a few days before I can do that. I drove it today and have a little feedback that I do not know if it clears anything up or clouds it up more.

I haven't confirmed yet but I really believe the noise I am describing as the power steering pump noise is not from the trans. From the best I can hear it is too far rearward. I really think it's a bad center bearing. I was underneath and it does have some play in the rubber.

I'm still trying to figure out this OBDlink MX+ scanner I got. It is really frustrating because the native app that is supposed to do a lot... doesn't. Dash Command works pretty well but I just cannot find pics for things like which gear is commanded. Can't find pids for things like if TCC lockup is commanded. So I am still working on that.

But I was able to gather some more information this afternoon.

Approx 10 miles into driving it seemed to start doing what its been doing again (not the noise this time, but the shifting issues) but between how I do have my scanner set up and what I've been figuring to look for I think I have a little more information.

I did confirm through scanner that it is topping out in 3rd gear when problem is present, it appears lockup does happen if I'm on completely flat ground that I can let off but still maintain very slight pedal. Another thing it does when this problem is present is it will drop to idle when coasting with foot off pedal. Lots of people on the net say this is normal... When my truck is running normal that does not happen, It maintains some level of engagement and maintains some RPM.

When I do not have 4th, It drops to idle with foot off pedal.

I've worked a lot of bugs out of this truck since I got it but one nagging issue is an intermittent VERY high idle. like almost 2,000rpm. But no codes, or anything I can decipher in sensor readings. Is there anything you can think of that would trigger 4th to NOT be commanded?

I am getting very frustrated with this and really don't have the funds currently to send it out to get diagnosed.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to talk to my builder yet. It may be a few days before I can do that. I drove it today and have a little feedback that I do not know if it clears anything up or clouds it up more.

I haven't confirmed yet but I really believe the noise I am describing as the power steering pump noise is not from the trans. From the best I can hear it is too far rearward. I really think it's a bad center bearing. I was underneath and it does have some play in the rubber.

I'm still trying to figure out this OBDlink MX+ scanner I got. It is really frustrating because the native app that is supposed to do a lot... doesn't. Dash Command works pretty well but I just cannot find pics for things like which gear is commanded. Can't find pids for things like if TCC lockup is commanded. So I am still working on that.

But I was able to gather some more information this afternoon.

Approx 10 miles into driving it seemed to start doing what its been doing again (not the noise this time, but the shifting issues) but between how I do have my scanner set up and what I've been figuring to look for I think I have a little more information.

I did confirm through scanner that it is topping out in 3rd gear when problem is present, it appears lockup does happen if I'm on completely flat ground that I can let off but still maintain very slight pedal. Another thing it does when this problem is present is it will drop to idle when coasting with foot off pedal. Lots of people on the net say this is normal... When my truck is running normal that does not happen, It maintains some level of engagement and maintains some RPM.

When I do not have 4th, It drops to idle with foot off pedal.

I've worked a lot of bugs out of this truck since I got it but one nagging issue is an intermittent VERY high idle. like almost 2,000rpm. But no codes, or anything I can decipher in sensor readings. Is there anything you can think of that would trigger 4th to NOT be commanded?

I am getting very frustrated with this and really don't have the funds currently to send it out to get diagnosed.
Diagnose the P/S pump by removing the belt and spinning the pulley. If it makes noise, fully flush the system then r/r the pump with a reman or buy the reman kit and rebuild it yourself. You can do the same for any pulley or front accessory noise by the same method.

Beyond that, I'd not mention the ps pump or anything else not related to the shifting issue any further so as to keep things from getting toi muddled in this thread. Feel free to start another thread on the noises in the Steering or another subforum.

No upshift command: The computer may not command an upshift to 4th gear due to inaccurate or missing PID streams from sensors and switches the PCM uses to control the transmission, systemic electrical problems or failed/failing PCM.

Based on everything you've written, problem is as simple as commanding an upshift to 4th at the appropriate vehicle speed/engine rpm if it's stuck in 3rd and seeing if the trans responds. If it does, and it shifts into 4th and TCC locks up sfter multiple times upon command from the scan tool, the problem is elsewhere. If not and it stays in third, problem must be with the trans.

Dont forget to ask your builder the questions in my prev post - he should know all the answers....