4l60e to Muncie swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

Don't listen to me, I'm retarded
Reaction score
Sadly, that couldn’t be further from the truth. I have been looking for NV4500’s here for 2 years. Cheapest I’ve come across in central VA is $1500, with 200k+ miles and no clutch or flywheel, no pedal assembly, no master cylinder, slave cylinder, etc.

Between the rebuild kit and the transmission, I have $400 in it so far. Add in a hydraulic conversion kit from American powertrain, a clutch, flywheel, mount, and a Hurst shift kit, it’ll be about $2,000. An NV4500 swap with the pedal assembly and used master/slave cylinders would’ve cost far more than that, and they are used with high miles, and would warrant a rebuild before swapping in. That American Powertrain kit works across a lot of the older transmissions and the T56, which is ultimately the transmission I will eventually get once I can find one that isn’t crazy expensive.
Ouch. That's a rough time. Looking forward to seeing your swap though!

I probably shouldn't tell you how much I picked up my NV4500 for with everything and a ton of parts.

transitionbikes93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch. That's a rough time. Looking forward to seeing your swap though!

I probably shouldn't tell you how much I picked up my NV4500 for with everything and a ton of parts.
Yeah it’s just gonna hurt in Virginia the competition for parts here is huge and the prices are inflated. For such a large state with a huge car community, it’s so hard to go junkyard shopping, it’s so picked over. I messaged a guy who had a c3500 he was parting out, had the nv4500 with all the supporting parts for $400. I messaged him the second I saw the post, about 12 hours after he posted it and someone had already come and pulled the transmission right after he posted it. He said he didn’t know the transmission was so valuable and wished he’d charged more. I don’t know how all these people have the time or money to surf marketplace and buy up all the parts. I work 50+ hours a week lol.

Still excited for this swap, and this transmission is pretty tough and should be able to handle the power.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also doing a flywheel out of a 67-72 truck. Should be the same bolt pattern as both are 350’s? I can double check and take more measurements.

Nope. The crank was changed in 1986 when GM went to the 1 piece rear main seal. You'll need a flywheel from 86 and up.

32 spline manual tranny output vs 27 on the automatic?

Bear in mind you're also gonna lose your speedometer/odometer as the VSS is electric in the 400 trucks.

The Muncie is cable clutch, right? You have the bracket, pedal assy, etc? How are you gonna suspend the clutch pedal?
Then there's the shifter boot, or do you prefer water, mud, and cold winter air to come up through the floor?
You gonna cut off the additional width of the existing brake pedal so it doesn't interfere with the clutch pedal swing?

What tbe time needed to strip out the interior, cut tne floor, modify/build a clutch pedal, slave/bracket, and rewire reverse lights?
Don't forget to adjust the engine timing due to the lack of load from the auto tranny.

Truthfully, it'll be cheaper, faster, and easier to replace the existing 4L60e:
$500 for a good used tranny, fluid and a filter vs
$1700 plus for the flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal, pilot bushing, crossmember mod, driveshaft rebuild.

What about the EBL thing? Add that cost in as well.

Sell the Muncie, repair the existing tranny.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, it'll be cheaper, faster, and easier to replace the existing 4L60e:
$500 for a good used tranny, fluid and a filter vs
$1700 plus for the flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal, pilot bushing, crossmember mod, driveshaft rebuild.

What about the EBL thing? Add that cost in as well.

Sell the Muncie, repair the existing tranny.
All good info except Id calculate the cost of the 4L60E based on a complete overhaul vs a used unit...Used 4L60Es last on avg roughly 6months before something (3-4 clutch pack or sun shell) fails...most markets are fetching between $1850-$2200 for a full and proper overhaul plus another $150-$200 for a new converter...

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All good info except Id calculate the cost of the 4L60E based on a complete overhaul vs a used unit...Used 4L60Es last on avg roughly 6months before something (3-4 clutch pack or sun shell) fails...most markets are fetching between $1850-$2200 for a full and proper overhaul plus another $150-$200 for a new converter...

Agreed. If O.P. wants a flawless cruiser, rebuilding the tranny is the best option. Keeping it "as equipped" with as little reinventing the wheel was my main point.

Ambitious project @transitionbikes93 . Gonna watch this build with keen interest.