4l60e pump swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwild667

Reaction score
I have to get a torque converter and pump for my 97’ 4l60e. Is there a way to tell which one to get? As I was researching I came across different ones mentioning long shaft, mm, etc. is there anyways of knowing without dropping the transmission first? It’s in a 97’ c1500 4.3.

I also previously purchased an older style 4l60e(92-94,95) without prior knowledge on compatibility, just have to ask, would the pump and torque converter match with the 97?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to get a torque converter and pump for my 97’ 4l60e. Is there a way to tell which one to get? As I was researching I came across different ones mentioning long shaft, mm, etc. is there anyways of knowing without dropping the transmission first? It’s in a 97’ c1500 4.3.

I also previously purchased an older style 4l60e(92-94,95) without prior knowledge on compatibility, just have to ask, would the pump and torque converter match with the 97?
What happened to your existing pump?

Any reman 1995-2000 pump will work - you can identify these pumps based the height of the stator (6.75" or so) and last four digits of the casting number which are "1073". Simply match your existing pump to the new one. Purchase a new converter from a reputable source which DOES NOT INCLUDE PLACES LIKE AUTOZONE!!!

Lastly, open up any pump you buy to confirm it's actually been remanufactured. You need to align the pump halves upon reassembly - a very large hose clamp can work; alignment tools are available on eBay or Amazon. Make sure you have assembly lube on hand as well.

How are you planning to check front end play after you install the new pump?

There's a possibility that it will change to being outside of the .015-.030 spec range once the new pump is installed.

Kwild667

Reaction score
What happened to your existing pump?

Any reman 1995-2000 pump will work - you can identify these pumps based the height of the stator (6.75" or so) and last four digits of the casting number which are "1073". Simply match your existing pump to the new one. Purchase a new converter from a reputable source which DOES NOT INCLUDE PLACES LIKE AUTOZONE!!!

Lastly, open up any pump you buy to confirm it's actually been remanufactured. You need to align the pump halves upon reassembly - a very large hose clamp can work; alignment tools are available on eBay or Amazon. Make sure you have assembly lube on hand as well.

How are you planning to check front end play after you install the new pump?

There's a possibility that it will change to being outside of the .015-.030 spec range once the new pump is installed.
when we went to swap transmissions, my buddy noticed there was slop in the bushing, so when he replaced the input seal, it only lasted a couple weeks before squiring fluid all over again. I’m assuming you need a new pump to replace that bushing

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming you need a new pump to replace that bushing
You just need the pump all apart, body on the press and the bushing driver/pump support-bushing stop kit from Kent Moore or an equivalent bushing driver and support stop to r/r the pump body bushing...If the original bushing was moving in the bore, the pump body is likely no good...If the slop you're referring to is simply lots of lateral/side play between the converter's hub and bushing then the pre-existing bushing is simply very worn out.