4L60E interchange and tuning questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Ton_s-blazer

Reaction score
I have a 93 4l60e, the pump and valve body are hooped. I have a 96 pwm pump and valve body, the pump will swap right in, but the valve body needs the tcc valve and some kind of 3-2 mod. The question is can I use the 93 sol. on the 96 vb. and avoid the 3-2 cut loose by chip tuning the pwm 3-2 solenoid to be controlled like on/off style? If so, does anybody have any tuning tables for shift solenoids?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 4l60e, the pump and valve body are hooped. I have a 96 pwm pump and valve body, the pump will swap right in, but the valve body needs the tcc valve and some kind of 3-2 mod. The question is can I use the 93 sol. on the 96 vb. and avoid the 3-2 cut loose by chip tuning the pwm 3-2 solenoid to be controlled like on/off style? If so, does anybody have any tuning tables for shift solenoids?
The pump and the valve body are 'hooped'? Lol, never heard that term before to describe failed/malfunctioning transmission parts...I may start using it myself - "Hey, mr customer - your pump and forward drum are hooped! you'll need new ones!"

To answer your question, the simplest thing to do is install the 1993's 3-2 solenoid and re-tune. If that turns out to be 'hooped' as well, install a PWM solenoid for a 1996+....GM part number is 24227747. The solenoid is $15-$20 or so...

I have never installed a 1995-2000 PWM pump into a 1993 or 1994 unit though the physical differences between the two pumps are very slight. There's literally one part of the pump body where the voids in between the worm tracks are wider in the 1995+ body compared to the 1993-1994 body...You can also retro a 1993/94 4L60E pump body onto a 700R4 pump as far back as 1987 (maybe even back to 1982).

How do you know the 1993 4L60E's valve body is "hooped"?

Last edited:

1Ton_s-blazer

Reaction score
The pump is scored, but could be machined. Every valve in the valve body is stuck pretty good, I spent a while and only got 5 valves out and the bores won't clean up.
93 solenoids are the same as 96+ tcc pwm sol. and fit the on-off style vb.

You can use a 95-00 pwm pump in 93-94's and 700's, but you need to use matching body and cover and corresponding valves and filter. 25 years ago that's what we did when parts were harder to find(pre net). The only one I remember having issues with was a 454SS truck that somebody swapped in a supercharged 502 and frankensteined the 700 bad enough we tossed it and started over. They drilled holes everywhere, case and vb.

I've matched all the case webbing between 93 and 96, found 1 difference that's blocked by the plate (no issue). The 96 plate has the pwm holes and different 3-2 holes to match the "closed off" casting in the 96-00 vb , the updated design gives a faster 3/4 release.

93 case
93 3-2 sol.
96 vb./ plate
dummy sol. in pwm tcc hole?
Teckpak A74741QA TTC Valve
93 ecm tuned from pwm to on-off

In theory this should work, but I'm not sure what to set the table values at to go from pwm to on-off. First match the min/max D.C. , then drop the max time down to 1, but then how far down the table do I raise the duty cycle or do I make it 90 or 95% across the board?

Attachments

• 93 4L60E case.JPG
    93 4L60E case.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 96 4L60E case.JPG
    96 4L60E case.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 93 on 96 4L60E seperator plate.JPG
    93 on 96 4L60E seperator plate.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 96-00 $l60E valve body.jpg
    96-00 $l60E valve body.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-2 SharedScreenshot.jpg
    3-2 SharedScreenshot.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 3

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump is scored, but could be machined. Every valve in the valve body is stuck pretty good, I spent a while and only got 5 valves out and the bores won't clean up.
93 solenoids are the same as 96+ tcc pwm sol. and fit the on-off style vb.

You can use a 95-00 pwm pump in 93-94's and 700's, but you need to use matching body and cover and corresponding valves and filter. 25 years ago that's what we did when parts were harder to find(pre net). The only one I remember having issues with was a 454SS truck that somebody swapped in a supercharged 502 and frankensteined the 700 bad enough we tossed it and started over. They drilled holes everywhere, case and vb.

I've matched all the case webbing between 93 and 96, found 1 difference that's blocked by the plate (no issue). The 96 plate has the pwm holes and different 3-2 holes to match the "closed off" casting in the 96-00 vb , the updated design gives a faster 3/4 release.

93 case
93 3-2 sol.
96 vb./ plate
dummy sol. in pwm tcc hole?
Teckpak A74741QA TTC Valve
93 ecm tuned from pwm to on-off

In theory this should work, but I'm not sure what to set the table values at to go from pwm to on-off. First match the min/max D.C. , then drop the max time down to 1, but then how far down the table do I raise the duty cycle or do I make it 90 or 95% across the board?
Sounds like you got the parts interchange down, good to go...Though to retro a 4L60E pump assy to an 87+ 700R4, I'd imagine you'd have to modify the 4L60E stator support to work with the Aux VB feed pipe or simply bypass / omit it (I've never experimented with that scenario). You can put a solenoid in the TCC PWM Sol location on the 96 VB, just don't plug it in or, check the worm tracks/circuity routing - it may be the same as 93-94, in which case you can simply leave that hole empty.

Unfortunately, tuning is outside of my wheel house...I'd contact BlackBear or Diab-lew to see what they'd recommend..I'm sure they can provide some guidance insofar as what to do for tuning values for each parameter.

1Ton_s-blazer

Reaction score
Oops, forgot to mention the feed pipe. The pwm pump has a smaller forward feed hole with a staked in plug that you remove and drill the hole to the pipe size. It looks like the Techpak valve eliminates the need for the sol. but I think I'll throw it in just in case, no connector on 93 harness anyway.

I'm not in a rush, I'm still waiting on a few parts. My order showed up missing the seal kit and the wrong band.