4L60e Forward Sprag height difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leo330

Reaction score
As I continue into rebuilding my 1993 K1500 trans, I found that the existing forward sprag had a damaged cage and three of the dog bones fall out.

I purchased a new forward sprag assembly from wittrans.com (https://www.wittrans.com/New_link_parts.php?type=4L60E&section=32_input&part=648), and the correct part ID can be difficult. Some reading led me to believe you could and should use a later design with 29 elements. Based on this I ordered part no U74648C.

However, in all videos I see nothing showing a height change. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong part. My original part is on the left and the replacement on the right. While similar you can see the right one is taller and has a different face design. I'm nervous about swapping this one in and having troubles. Can someone provide some guidance? Maybe they just had this part in the wrong bin?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thank You,
Leo

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I continue into rebuilding my 1993 K1500 trans, I found that the existing forward sprag had a damaged cage and three of the dog bones fall out.

I purchased a new forward sprag assembly from wittrans.com (https://www.wittrans.com/New_link_parts.php?type=4L60E&section=32_input&part=648), and the correct part ID can be difficult. Some reading led me to believe you could and should use a later design with 29 elements. Based on this I ordered part no U74648C.

However, in all videos I see nothing showing a height change. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong part. My original part is on the left and the replacement on the right. While similar you can see the right one is taller and has a different face design. I'm nervous about swapping this one in and having troubles. Can someone provide some guidance? Maybe they just had this part in the wrong bin?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thank You,
Leo
The sprag assembly on the right has the forward clutch hub/outer race upside down.

All 4L60E forward sprags are 29 element...That was intro'd in 1987 or 88. Previous sprags were 24-element and Jan - May of 1982 there was a 7-element roller clutch assembly (it was phased out as part of a mid-year change)

Leo330

Reaction score
The sprag assembly on the right has the forward clutch hub/outer race upside down.

All 4L60E forward sprags are 29 element...That was intro'd in 1987 or 88. Previous sprags were 24-element and Jan - May of 1982 there was a 7-element roller clutch assembly (it was phased out as part of a mid-year change)
Nick,

Do you have a preferred source for parts? I learned of WIT, thanks to a local shop but I'm not sure I'm completely happy with their parts.

I flipped just like you said, but there was some light rust on the part, along with some on the races. Giving them the benefit of the doubt maybe someone retuned this in poor condition to them. I e-mailed and ask for a replacement. It roils a bit rough after re-assembly. Rougher than my original with the bad cage.

Thanks for the help.

Leo

Leo330

Reaction score
If anyone is interested this is the noise difference, but also you can feel the roughness.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick,

Do you have a preferred source for parts? I learned of WIT, thanks to a local shop but I'm not sure I'm completely happy with their parts.

I flipped just like you said, but there was some light rust on the part, along with some on the races. Giving them the benefit of the doubt maybe someone retuned this in poor condition to them. I e-mailed and ask for a replacement. It roils a bit rough after re-assembly. Rougher than my original with the bad cage.

Thanks for the help.

Leo
Hi Leo,

Most of my 4L60E hard parts come from customer core trade-ins that I tear down or from 4L60Es laying around in the junk yard.

You cannot use the old outer and inner race that held the failed sprag (at least I never do). Ill grab a good used sprag gear set replace the element itself with new.

Replace the sprag element with a new Borg Warner version and take 400g sand paper or emery cloth and go over the inside of the outer race until cross hatching is established. Install the new element - verify correct sprag rotation then dunk thw whole assy in transmission fluid before installation into the forward drum.