454 Build With 049 Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldaggerl

Reaction score
I have a 95 K2500 and I'm looking to build my first 454, I currently have 350 in the truck at the moment. I bought a complete L19 minus the TBI and starter, I also was able to get a set of 049 heads for cheap. I wanted to check with forum and gather opinions on which heads I should use as I've heard the 049 may not be the best as it'll lower compression, but I've also heard there are ways to slightly improve compression and to keep the heads. I'm looking for a good daily driver that I can tow a car or dump trailer with every now and again, mostly I just use the truck to take stuff to the dump and go camping so I'm not normally towing a ton but would still want to be able to. I have an NV4500 and 3.73 gears so I'm not worried about super low end torque, compared to the 350 I'd like to have a bit more mid range and some top end but I think no matter how I go I really can't miss when swapping from the 350 to 454.