411 swap tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv been looking at doing the 411 swap for a looong time now. I think I’m ready to finally do it. However it appears that lextech does not do the tuning side of it anymore and just distributes the pin out sheet.

There are 3 main things I’d like to gain from this swap

1. PCM controlled electric fans
2. Tow/haul mode
3. Delete rear o2 sensors.
Any other tuning improvements would be a bonus

Lex reccomended me to black bear performance. They would be in the $400 range with the 4th of July sale. I was really hoping to keep it in the sub$200 range. Nothing against black bear I’m just not certain I want to spend that much on this project.

From what I understand the base tune comes from a 2002 express van with a l31. Iv seen some available programmed pcms to an express van roughly in my price range but I question how reliable or correct this would be?

Is there any known ways to work with this or get around it? Thanks

My truck is a 1996 Chevy k1500 l31 motor.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv been looking at doing the 411 swap for a looong time now. I think I’m ready to finally do it. However it appears that lextech does not do the tuning side of it anymore and just distributes the pin out sheet.

2. Tow/haul mode

Lex reccomended me to black bear performance. They would be in the $400 range with the 4th of July sale. I was really hoping to keep it in the sub$200 range. Nothing against black bear I’m just not certain I want to spend that much on this project.

From what I understand the base tune comes from a 2002 express van with a l31. Iv seen some available programmed pcms to an express van roughly in my price range but I question how reliable or correct this would be?

If I was going to spend $400 on tuning, it would be to buy my own HPTuners or EFIlive setup and do it myself. If you want to be budget and it isn't a daily driver that you need functional right now, I would get an OBDXpro tool and learn to tune it yourself.
https://obdxpro.com/product/obdx-pro-vx-obd2-diagnostics-and-tuning/?swcfpc=1

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score

2. Tow/haul mode

You're gonna have a hard time finding anything under $200. It costs most of us $200 just to pay the licensing fees to flash the computer, plus the cost of the computer, time, knowledge, etc.

There are "free" ways to flash a computer but they are extremely user-UNfriendly, especially if you've never messed with it before. Universal Patcher is the most popular. It has its perks but there's a reason most of us cough up the money for HP Tuners or EFI Live

$400 from black bear is a good price

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm I may need to reconsider if this project is worth it. It is my daily driver so I need it to be reliable and usable…….

It’s been a few years when I first started looking into it but I swear lextech quoted me around $200

I checked these guys out and contacted them about some info but I haven’t heard anything back

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm I may need to reconsider if this project is worth it. It is my daily driver so I need it to be reliable and usable…….

It’s been a few years when I first started looking into it but I swear lextech quoted me around $200

I checked these guys out and contacted them about some info but I haven’t heard anything back

I think that is right, he quoted me a similar ~$150-200 price to send me a PCM with a starter tune on it. Mine is a project and not usually my daily, so I wasn't worried about it and I already had a PCM and was messing with Tunerpro and various OS's. I ended up needing to get HPTuenrs anyways to do the engine swap on my 2011 Suburban, so I have options. I don't think the $400 from blackbear is going to include providing you with a base tune, but maybe? I bet someone here can give you a .bin file from a functioning swap to use as your startup file if you have a tool to write it. Then you can mess with it as you have time using the free software. A stock engine that is just 0411 swapped shouldn't need much tuning, and you can do all the normal drivability tuning using the stock narrowband sensors. The problem comes when you need to do PE and WOT tuning and you need a wideband and good logging software. I haven't messed with PCM logger to know if it works well, since I have HPtuners already set up for that.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I coughed up for HPTuners and I've played with a few little things and had a few members help me out as well.
As expensive as it was to buy and license, HPTuners was worth every penny. I need to get a wide band and get my transmission fixed so I can really start cranking the screw on my 96 454.
One avenue could be a local tuner? I've got a couple shops here locally to me, anything like that around you?

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There’s only one tuner that I’m aware of about 2 hours away.

I’m fairly certain the $400 was for BBs traditional tune and a 411 pcm. They have the connectors for $30 I have looked around and found them for more/less.