377 mag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hrm ... I asked yesterday about doing a compression test and he said that was fine and we talked about me coming over to check it out today. Today, I'm getting ghosted.

Too good to be true, I guess.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I went down the rabbithole of these engines. Is there any reason the whipple supercharger for the Mercruiser Mag wouldn't physically bolt onto a vortec motor? Obviously the controlling is totally different and you would have to sort out tuning on your own, but do the belt and pulleys line up? Would it bolt onto the block?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something else to think about, as I recall a stock vortec 350 is rated at 330 hp in a marine application. It seems odd that this is only rated to 340.
300-340 hp depending on which cam, intake, exhaust. Marine engines are cammed for torque, not peak HP. The 377/383 were Mercruisers replacement for the older 454s making 310-330 hp and did quite well in boats that had the 454 previously.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went down the rabbithole of these engines. Is there any reason the whipple supercharger for the Mercruiser Mag wouldn't physically bolt onto a vortec motor? Obviously the controlling is totally different and you would have to sort out tuning on your own, but do the belt and pulleys line up? Would it bolt onto the block?

It seems like it would work as long as the accessory drive is the same offset from the block for the marine engine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems like it would work as long as the accessory drive is the same offset from the block for the marine engine.
The problem is the air intake would be inside the vehicle behind the dashboard. It also uses 6 port fuel injector style injectors at the large oval throttle blade.

Personally I would go with a turbo in the same location as a 6.5L diesel. Then you can use off the shelf aftermarket 3.5-4" 6.5L exhaust pieces.