-37 C plus weak coolant strength :( new build ideas needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumpr

Reaction score
Well, I didn't plan on swapping the old 350 out just yet, but mother nature had plans of her own. I wouldn't normally have left the truck outside, but i had to take off for the weekend and left it in the driveway.... and what do you know, it hits -37 celcius....so much for the block.

I had a 454 tbi swap planned (sitting beside the truck also, but now im thinking i would like to just put another small block in and get some decent mileage and power. My dad handed me a late 70's 4 bolt 350 that is a fresh re-build. Its nothing special, flat tops, not sure what heads, but their cast bowtie, rv cam, and an edlebrock intake.

Now for the age old question, slap a carb on, or stay tbi. We don't have emissions testing here yet, but its coming. Im more familiar with carb, but i want a good reliable driver also, which could include the odd winter excursion as its my spare vehical. The main criteria is somewhat decent mileage, and of-coarse more power would be nice too!

I might have a line on a set of edlebrock e-tec 170 heads which would be good if i went tbi again, and staying tbi would be less headache im thinking. Im unsure of what intake to go with though, as i don't really want to re-use the factory one. I could use the throttle body off my 454 for increase air flow no? Would i leave the 454 injectors in, if I was shooting for 300-350hp range, or would the factory 350 injectors and stock fuel pump stretch that far? Also should i leave the rv cam in (unsure of specs, but im sure its mild at best) or pick out a new cam, and what would work good efi wise, but offer good power. The rest is pretty simple, toss in new 1.6 rockers, i have hooker super comp long tubes, and will do new duals, and some upgraded ignition. Now the last thing....prom or chip (really in the dark here) If i match up parts good, am i going to still burn a new prom? I have no efi tuning knowledge, or tuners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or similar post build success stories.

Aaron

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Get a good dual-plane intake and a carb-TBI adapter and bolt it onto the new engine. That way you have a better flowing intake and avoid the compatibility problems with the weird center bolts on the TBI intake. Then tune the computer to match. You might need to bump the fuel pressure and get a better pump to get 350hp, but it would be worth the effort.